Primary School Preparation - Math

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Primary School Preparation - Math

Postby Alexandrea » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:01 pm

Has anyone got their kids in Roysth school? I heard that the standard is very high.
Many of my friends are recommending this school if my child can get in. I will be under the Phase 2B category.
But I had also heard from one parent whose child is in Roysth. She was commenting that it is not as good as it seem. Reason is due to the teaching methods of the teachers. Infact, she said HOugang Primary may be better.
I would just like to listen to your views and better still, if you have experience with the teaching of this school.
Yesterday I was with a Preschool Principal, she mentioned that if my child is not so well verse in Math, I should not consider Roysth. Too much pressure and stress..
Eee.... sounded so scary...

Alexandrea
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lizawa » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Yesterday I was with a Preschool Principal, she mentioned that if my child is not so well verse in Math, I should not consider Roysth. Too much pressure and stress..

How do you tell whether a child is "well verse in Math" at such a young age ?
I think it's not only Rosyth but many other popular schools are training their students for challenging Maths, ie higher order Maths that require thinking out of the box, exploring more than just textbooks methods for problem solving. However, the schools also recognize that not all students are able to cope with such curriculum, so from what I observe, only the few best classes in a level are given the exposure to the higher order Maths.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Roysth school

Postby Alexandrea » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:24 am

Hi Lizawa,

I was also hearing this that those gifted in Math are put in some good classes where they will receive more training to further improve their knowledge.
I guess you are right, there should be those catered for kids of the average achiever.
Thanks.
My girl is rejecting MATH a lot. However, I am always trying to make it fun for her to learn the basic fundamental without her actually realising she is into it. Whenever I take out a workbook and start asking her to do her additions, she will reject and said "i Don want, I do not know how!!!" But when it comes to daily questions like:" look! There are 3 birds on the tree, and see! 2 more have come to join them, how many birds are there altogether?" Before she even needs to count, she will answer 5.
By the way, she is 4 and I hope her progress is fine.

Alexandrea
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lizawa » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi Alexandrea,

Your girl is 4 only, so don't make her do workbook. I think it's not necessary. Maybe it's the workbook that's putting her off, not Maths. She will get plenty of chance to do workbook and assessment books when she goes to Pr. 1. :)

So relax now ! :wink:

I heard from a friend living in Australia that Maths homework for her Pr. 1 kid is "Go home and count the number of pots and pans in your mother's kitchen".

Lizawa

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:44 pm

lizawa wrote:...I heard from a friend living in Australia that Maths homework for her Pr. 1 kid is "Go home and count the number of pots and pans in your mother's kitchen"...

Hmmm... I can imagine if the order comes down to our Primary schools to do it the "Australian way", the implementation would be:
"Go home and count the number of hairs in your daddy's moustache"

As Singaporeans, we must always be one up on others! Must be kiasu lor.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Alexandrea » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:41 am

Hee hee ..heee... that's why this forum is call Kiasu parents... :)
anyway, I will try not to push her so much incase she got sick of assessment books.
Perhaps I am too Kiasu..but hearing a lot from other parents, I couldn't help feeling paranoid about her progress acadamically...

I saw from this forum that Enopi Math maybe good for her to at least "touch on" MATH. She may enjoy her lesson more.
Any other good suggestions?

She is with growing up gifted reading and writing class. She likes it but I couldn't see much progress. She is ready her books but base on memory.

Alexandrea
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Tang » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:44 pm

One site you should not miss is as follows:

http://www.blogger.com/profile/17918652673297709832

It helps me to excel in Maths and believe it will do the same for you.

Tang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:44 pm

Tang wrote:One site you should not miss is as follows:

http://www.blogger.com/profile/17918652673297709832

It helps me to excel in Maths and believe it will do the same for you.

Hm..
i think this thread is more for lower primary math preparation.
Chief & Mods,
do consider shifting Tang's post over here under Free Online Resource.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support