Math Paper Marking Scheme at National Level

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Math Paper Marking Scheme at National Level

Postby nonKiasu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi. May I know any CURRENT educator that can answer this query of mine?

My DS1 got back his P2 Math SA2 paper recently. He got half mark deducted. See the image below. I was shocked bec the line looks pretty straight to me. I took out my glasses and stared hard at it. Only then, I found that it indeed not straight enough.

Now, I would like to find out if this is the way Math papers are marked at national level like PSLE, O level, etc? Is this the norm?

nonKiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Math Paper Marking Scheme at National Level

Postby nonKiasu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Anyone has similar experience to share?

nonKiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby elkniwt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:20 am

Hi,

I don't have any constructive experience to share but I just want to say that no matter how hard I stare, the line still looks straight to me. I don't understand why the 0.5 mark is deducted. :?

Just to share what I know. My dd is in P6 and for questions where the student has to draw out a figure, the teachers have the correct figure drawn on a transparency and will super-impose it on the child's drawing. If the figure drawn does not match exactly, marks will be deducted. I don't know whether this is the practice for all schools or just for my dd's school though.

That said. I still think your ds1 should get full mark for this qn.

elkniwt
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Charnic » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:37 am

If you dun mind, i think you can go back to the teacher for the 0.5marks. I personally think that there is nothing wrong w it.

Charnic
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nonKiasu » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 pm

CNS wrote:If you dun mind, i think you can go back to the teacher for the 0.5marks. I personally think that there is nothing wrong w it.

I know what u mean...
When I first look at it, my first reaction is to go back to the teacher to appeal for the half mark. Even my bo-chap DH raised his voice of surprised.

But eventually didn't appeal bec:
1) I can't find the form teacher! Don't know when she started to have MC and I was told that she will not return to sch this yr. Hmm, so need to hunt for the relief teacher or level head or math head! So think harder, not worth the effort bec...

2) My DS don't need the half mark to pass. In fact, this is the only mark he lost in the whole paper. And think harder...

3) The most impt is this: We get a chance to see the way the sch marked the paper now and can appeal. But what abt PSLE where we don't get to see the paper. The person who mark this paper could be one of those that marked our children's PSLE paper! If she/he marked the same way like this case, there is no way we know and able to appeal.

And so I prefer to find out: Is this the norm where all educators mark this way?

nonKiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nonKiasu » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 pm

elkniwt wrote:Hi,

I don't have any constructive experience to share but I just want to say that no matter how hard I stare, the line still looks straight to me. I don't understand why the 0.5 mark is deducted. :?

Just to share what I know. My dd is in P6 and for questions where the student has to draw out a figure, the teachers have the correct figure drawn on a transparency and will super-impose it on the child's drawing. If the figure drawn does not match exactly, marks will be deducted. I don't know whether this is the practice for all schools or just for my dd's school though.

Glad to hear that we are 'normal' people who can see straight line.
But too be frank, it is only 99.9% straight. One need to stare real hard. My photo resolution not high enough for you to see the fault.

After my 1st reaction to get this mark appeal, my 2nd wild thot is: Maybe the sch has reached the quotation for full marks, and they need to go thru all the full marks paper to find fault? Sway-sway, they found it! Remember, everything need to apply bell curve.
Never mind lah. P2 only. If PSLE, I will jump. But again, we don't get to see PSLE paper.

nonKiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 am

I dont know about national level marking, but this school have been marking this way since at least 4 years back... My ds who is in p6 now have a similar situation in p2 and we thought it was marked wrongly. Went to see the teacher and she pointed out the problem. Appeal also no use.. Lol

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby weatherbee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Yup, schools will just put a transparency on top of the drawing. Depending on the teacher, some are more strict, some are more lenient.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby weatherbee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:15 pm

nonKiasu wrote:

Glad to hear that we are 'normal' people who can see straight line.
But too be frank, it is only 99.9% straight. One need to stare real hard. My photo resolution not high enough for you to see the fault.

After my 1st reaction to get this mark appeal, my 2nd wild thot is: Maybe the sch has reached the quotation for full marks, and they need to go thru all the full marks paper to find fault? Sway-sway, they found it! Remember, everything need to apply bell curve.
Never mind lah. P2 only. If PSLE, I will jump. But again, we don't get to see PSLE paper.

Maybe that's why MOE doesn't return the PSLE paper. In case many parents jump.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support