Best class... need views

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Best class... need views

Postby DQ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Anyone has ever transferred your kids out of the best class(es) in P6?
Able to share your experience, as in the rationale behind this action and the effects of it?

My dd is in one of the 2 best classes in P5, out of 10 classes. Her class position is the last few in class, though overall performance is slightly above cohort average. She is asking to be taken out of the class to join a mixed-ability class where she was before, in P4. Reasons being that she does not want to be in a competitive class with an equally competitive teacher. And I believe key issue is she felt the teacher is 'rushing' through curriculum and she could not catch up. She hopes to be allocated to a 'slower pace' class. But knowing next year is the crucial PSLE year, I believe whichever class she will be in, the teacher's stress level will be as high and will be pressured to 'complete' the curriculum within the shortest frame of time so that revision can commence. If this is the case, will there be any difference which class she is in? Or would it be better if we send her for tuition to raise her competency level such that she could 'catch up' with the teacher's 'rushed' manner of covering the curriculum? In actual fact, she has been having enrichment classes for EL and CL since she was smaller. And just 2 months ago, we sent her for Math tuition. Seeing good progress in her Math (just managed an 'A' for SA2 as compared to 'B' and 'C' in previous tests this year) although not meeting her teacher's 'expectation' of above 80%.

Anyone has any views based on the above?

DQ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Best class... need views

Postby Suz855 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Dear DQ, sound like we are in the same boat .... Anyway here's my experience to share. Dd(p5) this yr was streamed to the so called best class, irony is the FT though extremely hard working was not teaching but assessing them all the time n has high expectation...The eng language teacher was our worse nightmare ... She teach little n expect the children to just know n somehow she knows we had given feedback to school so she picked on our dd ......We approached the school principal for help n request to transfer out but our request was rejected, reason being all the other 2HA n 2MA classes were full, then again we didn't want to risk having her transferred to the other 2 MA n LA class (w lesser students in these classes) as we worried about bad peer influence n teacher might not be able teach to her level .... So in the end, we choose status quo in the school ... we self taught our dd at home n send her for Eng tuition. We are glad that the tuition centre does fill in the gap n she has since improved n regain her confidence.

Just sharing n hope it help :smile:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby weatherbee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 pm

No wonder so many kids need tuition nowadays.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hercules » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:10 am

My sharing on 'Best Class'.

My son, P3, is in the Best Class. 40 children in that class.

After he got his report book, he told me about this girl in his class. He said he 'pitied' her.

I asked why?

He said she is always the last in the class and teachers always picked on her when she couldn't do something correctly or completing something in time like the rest.

He added if he were her, he would want to be transferred out of the class to go a lower level class to feel better instead of being the last in the Best Class and always so stressed and so humiliated

I asked then why he didn't help her.

He replied she was too slow and everything was so packed and fast in class and where got time to help?

Well, that's the happening in the 'Best Class' from my P3 son's experience.

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby octoberbaby » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:33 am

'Best Class' is very competitive. Basically, teachers' jobs are very relax in that class. Give them worksheets to do. They will do quietly and completed the work within specified timing or earlier.

It is good environment. Don't you agree Top in Schools co-hort or PSLE top scorers usually are from the 'Best Class'?

octoberbaby
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HAPPYH » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:35 am

octoberbaby wrote:'Best Class' is very competitive. Basically, teachers' jobs are very relax in that class. Give them worksheets to do. They will do quietly and completed the work within specified timing or earlier.

It is good environment. Don't you agree Top in Schools co-hort or PSLE top scorers usually are from the 'Best Class'?

Yes. I agree. The students are exposed to more variey of questions/worksheets in best classes. However, if the child is at teh bottom of the pile, it is not worth esp. if it affects their self esteem.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:25 am

HAPPYH wrote:
octoberbaby wrote:'Best Class' is very competitive. Basically, teachers' jobs are very relax in that class. Give them worksheets to do. They will do quietly and completed the work within specified timing or earlier.

Yes. I agree. The students are exposed to more variey of questions/worksheets in best classes. However, if the child is at teh bottom of the pile, it is not worth esp. if it affects their self esteem.

But somebody has to be at the bottom leh. Then how?

Dd is in one of the 2 top classes. School does not disclose any details so I cannot be 100% sure if her class is the better of the 2. What I know is her grades r not as good as those book prize winners in her class. Dd is the happy-go-lucky sort, and is not very competitive by nature. I sure hope she is comfortable with where she is : dd :? when a couple of her classmates cried over their less than perfect scores.

Can we assume that all schools have the practice of 'stretching' the kids in the best class? I hv not seen the worksheets of her friends from the classes, so can't comment.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Champion » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:42 am

Just sharing what I get to know from a friend whose child is P5 next year :smile:

Friend's girl is in 2nd best class P4 this year with a neighborhood school. A diligent & sensible girl who is also a school prefect. Done extremely well during the SA2 exam and got 3rd position in class & being promotes to top class P5 next year. School din reveal cohort position so my friend unable to gauge how well her girl does. But the child whined & cried upon knowing the posting and told my friend," I don't want to go to P5A; they are snobbish students & very competitive! I will be last in that class next year and it is very shameful!" :sad:

Friend has approached the current P4 FT and told her the situation. It seem like friend's child still can't come to term about the "promotion" :roll:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mawar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:16 am

Sounds like a small fish in a big pond vs a big fish in a small pond dilemma.

For parents who have gone through this, please share your experiences:
1) Can kids opt for demotion midway? I get the impression that the promotion is cast in stone.
2) The FT said the difference between the best classes and mainstream is a little stretching when the kids have completed the common curriculum worksheets. Is that the practice?
3) My child does not attend outside enrichment, so I guess the stretching would be a positive thing. However if teachers don't teach as much, and the creme of the cohort attend top notch enrichment centers, I wonder how my child would cope.

Fortunately my child is happy with the promotion and looks forward to next year. That is a good start.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Puzz...zzle » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 am

Hi, my DD was top in p2, then transfered to this new sch in p3 and was placed in the MA class. She became very relax and take things easy coz the pace of learning in that class was slow. Sometimes other children just don't complete HW. She became no motivation, do works slow, totaly difference when she was in p2. I was so worried. Sometimes she complained so boring in class and asked for home schooling.

Luckly she is in top 3 position in class this year and offered to promote in the Best class p4 next year. DD and me don't mind if she don't get into the top 3 position next year, position is not important. Learning enviroment, motivation and the input from teachers to the best class are what we wants. Hope she is back to Herself like p2.

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support