All about improving English

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

All about improving English

Postby Starkidz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 am

I need help about how to improve English.Need ideas or ways to improve english and do well in english exam.Mummies and Daddys can contribute to share ideas. :thankyou:

Starkidz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All about improving English

Postby Sueweety » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi, how old are your kids?

Currently i adopting on reading (books, newspaper, educational magazines etc) & conversing in proper english daily for my kids. Follows by grammer, vocab practice from assessment books and frequently compo writings.

Sueweety
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All about improving English

Postby meinteel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:19 am

Saravana wrote:I need help about how to improve English.Need ideas or ways to improve english and do well in english exam.Mummies and Daddys can contribute to share ideas. :thankyou:


That depends on the current level of competency in English language as well as the level of education (Primary/secondary etc).

Upper Primary Students:
Reading - At least 1 book a week or minimally 500 words a day.
Writing - Lower Competency Students to practice simple sentences
Higher Competency students to practice complex and compound sentences
Vocab - Word Replacement ( e.g. change happy to ...)

Secondary Students
Newspaper - Daily
Book reading - weekly
Writing - Respond to 1 article daily
Weekly Argumentative essay
Vocab - Word Replacement
Grammer - Editing Exercises

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:11 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All about improving English

Postby Mom of 3 boys » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 am

This is a useful list. If both parents are not strong in using the language correctly, is tuition the only other alternative? ( because language is about the ability to practice and practice well)

Mom of 3 boys
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All about improving English

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 am

Mom of 3 boys wrote:This is a useful list. If both parents are not strong in using the language correctly, is tuition the only other alternative? ( because language is about the ability to practice and practice well)

You can try reading aloud from good books and watching good TV programmes or listening to good radio programmes. Choose carefully as there is a lot of rubbishy English around with poor grammar, poor vocab and incomplete sentences. I believe that good, focused input is the foundation. Practice is the second stage.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8070
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173



Re: All about improving English

Postby julialai » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:33 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Mom of 3 boys wrote:This is a useful list. If both parents are not strong in using the language correctly, is tuition the only other alternative? ( because language is about the ability to practice and practice well)

You can try reading aloud from good books and watching good TV programmes or listening to good radio programmes. Choose carefully as there is a lot of rubbishy English around with poor grammar, poor vocab and incomplete sentences. I believe that good, focused input is the foundation. Practice is the second stage.


Just sharing our personal experience..

Hubby and I are both avid readers. We tried to build a good foundation of the language in our kids by exposing them to books and more books when they were in lower primary. We brought them to bookshops every week and hung around the whole afternoon letting them choose the books they fancy (usually these are the ones their classmates were currently reading at school!) At that stage, we would buy the whole series over time if the storyline and characters captured their attention and they wanted to read. We just wanted to get them into reading voraciously! Gradually we moved the kids to other types of narratives and classics by reading to them at bedtime with animation. We would purposely not finish the story and being curious, they would read the endings by themselves. :evil: That whole process gave our kids some fluency with vocabulary and sentence structuring which helped greatly when they moved to higher levels where comprehension cloze, synthesis and transformation and compositions are the more challenging components of the English paper. From P4 onwards, besides continuing with books, practice with the technical skills is very important too.

julialai
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:09 am
Total Likes: 4


Re: All about improving English

Postby Mom of 3 boys » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 am

julialai wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
Mom of 3 boys wrote:This is a useful list. If both parents are not strong in using the language correctly, is tuition the only other alternative? ( because language is about the ability to practice and practice well)

You can try reading aloud from good books and watching good TV programmes or listening to good radio programmes. Choose carefully as there is a lot of rubbishy English around with poor grammar, poor vocab and incomplete sentences. I believe that good, focused input is the foundation. Practice is the second stage.


Just sharing our personal experience..

Hubby and I are both avid readers. We tried to build a good foundation of the language in our kids by exposing them to books and more books when they were in lower primary. We brought them to bookshops every week and hung around the whole afternoon letting them choose the books they fancy (usually these are the ones their classmates were currently reading at school!) At that stage, we would buy the whole series over time if the storyline and characters captured their attention and they wanted to read. We just wanted to get them into reading voraciously! Gradually we moved the kids to other types of narratives and classics by reading to them at bedtime with animation. We would purposely not finish the story and being curious, they would read the endings by themselves. :evil: That whole process gave our kids some fluency with vocabulary and sentence structuring which helped greatly when they moved to higher levels where comprehension cloze, synthesis and transformation and compositions are the more challenging components of the English paper. From P4 onwards, besides continuing with books, practice with the technical skills is very important too.

Thank you for sharing!!

Mom of 3 boys
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All about improving English

Postby Just relax » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:44 am

The foundation for a good command of English is reading. DS1 is good in English and he had a love for books from the time we read to him as a baby. He loves books and we buy as many books as we can for him to read. He is now in P6 and continues to read 1 new book a week at least.

DS2 did not like reading and we had to be very patient and continue reading to him until P1. He would get bored easily so we would set aside bedtime as the time for reading as there would be no distractions. His English was above average but not as strong as DS1. I think because of continued reading to him, and giving him fun books to read such as Geronimo Stilton and Amos Lee he began in P 2 to start reading on his own. Now in P4 he has finished Harry Potter series and is reading the Hunger Games series and thoroughly enjoys reading. We set aside 2 hours on Sat and 2 hours on Sun for DS2 to read. His English at P4 is almost as strong as DS1 although he still has to catch up on vocab since he started enjoying reading much later than DS1.

So the key is patience and getting the right books initially which should probably be the "funny" books. Trying to start with the classic authors such as Enid Blyton may not work as kids today try to read the same books as their peers and that means Geronimo, Amos Lee, Wimpy Kid et al.

Just relax
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 am
Total Likes: 19


Re: All about improving English

Postby Starkidz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:58 pm

meinteel wrote:
Saravana wrote:I need help about how to improve English.Need ideas or ways to improve english and do well in english exam.Mummies and Daddys can contribute to share ideas. :thankyou:


That depends on the current level of competency in English language as well as the level of education (Primary/secondary etc).

Upper Primary Students:
Reading - At least 1 book a week or minimally 500 words a day.
Writing - Lower Competency Students to practice simple sentences
Higher Competency students to practice complex and compound sentences
Vocab - Word Replacement ( e.g. change happy to ...)

Secondary Students
Newspaper - Daily
Book reading - weekly
Writing - Respond to 1 article daily
Weekly Argumentative essay
Vocab - Word Replacement
Grammer - Editing Exercises


:thankyou:

Starkidz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All about improving English

Postby Starkidz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:59 pm

meinteel wrote:
Saravana wrote:I need help about how to improve English.Need ideas or ways to improve english and do well in english exam.Mummies and Daddys can contribute to share ideas. :thankyou:


That depends on the current level of competency in English language as well as the level of education (Primary/secondary etc).

Upper Primary Students:
Reading - At least 1 book a week or minimally 500 words a day.
Writing - Lower Competency Students to practice simple sentences
Higher Competency students to practice complex and compound sentences
Vocab - Word Replacement ( e.g. change happy to ...)

Secondary Students
Newspaper - Daily
Book reading - weekly
Writing - Respond to 1 article daily
Weekly Argumentative essay
Vocab - Word Replacement
Grammer - Editing Exercises


:thankyou:

Starkidz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am
Total Likes: 0



Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support