Visual/auditory/tactile learners?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Visual/auditory/tactile learners?

Postby elantranine » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:44 am

Hi

How do we help our children based on their learning styles?
Any ideas to share?

elantranine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Visual/auditory/tactile learners?

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:38 am

Visual is actually the one that is most catered to in school, so there is very little you should have to do. Maybe make visual summary charts? It also depends on whether the child copes better with lists or graphic organisers. I am visual and prefer lists and dislike graphic organisers (eg. mind maps), so it depends on the individual. One of my daughters is pretty much like me.

For auditory, this is also catered to in school because teachers mostly deliver lessons in auditory form. For my auditory daughter, she will sometimes read her books and notes aloud which helps her learn them. You could try recording facts and have the child listen to the recordings, but I have not done that.

Not sure about tactile as neither of my kids are particularly tactile.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby elantranine » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Oh ok. I have 4 kids and i discovered 2 of them are visual and
the other 2 are auditory (prefer reading out loud).
But i dunno shd they,the auditory kids,be seated with visual kids when doing
Homework/revision? Becos my 2 visual kids needs quiet env to study and focus.
I will hv hard time trying to schedule their study time if i
Have to separate them.

elantranine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 pm

elantranine wrote:Oh ok. I have 4 kids and i discovered 2 of them are visual and
the other 2 are auditory (prefer reading out loud).
But i dunno shd they,the auditory kids,be seated with visual kids when doing
Homework/revision? Becos my 2 visual kids needs quiet env to study and focus.
I will hv hard time trying to schedule their study time if i
Have to separate them.

How old are they? Do they have to be in the same place to study? I always separated my girls until they reached upper pr/secondary. My older one is the visual one and easily disturbed by noise, while the younger one is auditory and likes to to be told things, read aloud, recite etc. As the auditory one got older, she could be quieter for longer, but she goes into another room when she needs to do something that makes noise so as not to disturb her sister. I have always tried to make them independent in studying even from P1 so I don't have to be at their side all the time. They just call when they want me.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby elantranine » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:24 pm

My kids will be p2,p3,p4 and p5 ! Next yr only my p2 boy is in pm session and he is auditory learner. My p3 boy and p5 gal are visual learners. P4 gal is auditory learner and she doesnt like studying alone in her room. My p5 gal can do independent learning. but my visual p3 boy has short attention span. So u can imagine I have to closely supervise each kids just so to make sure they can learn properly. Life is tough !!!

elantranine
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:51 pm

elantranine wrote:My kids will be p2,p3,p4 and p5 ! Next yr only my p2 boy is in pm session and he is auditory learner. My p3 boy and p5 gal are visual learners. P4 gal is auditory learner and she doesnt like studying alone in her room. My p5 gal can do independent learning. but my visual p3 boy has short attention span. So u can imagine I have to closely supervise each kids just so to make sure they can learn properly. Life is tough !!!

I guess you'll have to let the P5 manage on her own. Then split your time between the P3 and P4 kids, but gradually, try to get them to do more independently. My visual daughter also had a very short attention span, and my auditory daughter loved company. I know the feeling!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby graciousbear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 pm

maybe can let the p5 be the 'leader' of the other 2. this way you can have a little assistant to help :)

graciousbear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby S_Mummy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:10 am

elantranine wrote:My kids will be p2,p3,p4 and p5 ! Next yr only my p2 boy is in pm session and he is auditory learner. My p3 boy and p5 gal are visual learners. P4 gal is auditory learner and she doesnt like studying alone in her room. My p5 gal can do independent learning. but my visual p3 boy has short attention span. So u can imagine I have to closely supervise each kids just so to make sure they can learn properly. Life is tough !!!

:udawoman:

S_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support