Homework help

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Homework help

Postby tianzhu » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:33 pm

I know I am going to ruffle a few feathers with this post. Presently, many of the regulars answering questions in this forum are parents. With due respect to other parents, I feel that parents are not the most suitable person to answer query. The simple reason is we are parents not trained educators. We are not updated on the syllabuses and answering techniques.

Educators such as current teachers and tutors are better alternatives, again for the simple reason they are adequately trained to do their jobs which is to teach. For one reason or another, responses from teachers and tutors have not been encouraging.

Lately, I observed more tutors posting to broadcast their services. Perhaps they can take one more step forward to answer questions. This will enable them to showcase their teaching ideas and detailed solutions for parents to consider their services.

Looking forward to get positive responses.

tianzhu
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Homework help

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:05 pm

tianzhu wrote:I know I am going to ruffle a few feathers with this post. Presently, many of the regulars answering questions in this forum are parents. With due respect to other parents, I feel that parents are not the most suitable person to answer query. The simple reason is we are parents not trained educators. We are not updated on the syllabuses and answering techniques...

Hi tianzhu, while I agree that it would be great if trained educators can actually come and help answer some of these questions, I do not agree that parents cannot be the most suitable people to answer these questions.

Quite a lot of the active forumers here are clearly well-educated and in touch with the Primary school syllabus, and some even more than the average newly NIE-graduated Primary school teacher. We read a lot of assessment books, going through lots of past-year questions, and even attend seminars held by schools to familiarize parents with the schools' syllabus. We have to answer questions and help our children with their homework. Oftentimes, when a problem is posted, some parents can even identify where it came from!

To really understand a question, one must try to answer the question in more than one way. And to really learn a concept, one must teach the concept. I do not doubt that yourself and others like lizawa and Dharma who have been faithfully providing answers to anxious parents' math and science problems are well-versed in these topics by now, and I would trust your answers more than I would trust that of a new graduate trying to make a living giving tuition to Primary school kids. That's because I know that you are doing it so that you can teach your child, and of course you have to be sure of the answer.

The intent of keeping these Q&A threads is really multifold - we want to provide an avenue for parents to get assistance in helping their children with their schoolwork, and we also want parents to see for themselves the kind of problems that our kids are exposed to. We want parents to put themselves in the shoes of their children and try to do the problems themselves to understand how difficult the questions can be. We also want parents to share and learn tips and tricks that they can impart to their kids.

So yes, while I would love to have expert educators come in to help teach our parents, I would also love to have parents continue to provide answers to all the posted questions, so that we can all teach and learn at the same time.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:34 pm

I have to agree with Chief's view, a mix of both would be good.

Sometimes, on the contrary, anxious parents may fare better than educators who are just doing their job. I am inclined to think that if a parent bothers to spend time to answer any questions, it would be out of passion since it is not their profession.

Postby James Ang » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 pm

ks2me wrote:I have to agree with Chief's view, a mix of both would be good.

Sometimes, on the contrary, anxious parents may fare better than educators who are just doing their job. I am inclined to think that if a parent bothers to spend time to answer any questions, it would be out of passion since it is not their profession.

There are many ways to solve a Maths problem, as long as it works well, both educators and parents can contribute to help.

To let out an honest view, I never "memorise" the method for solving a maths problem, I just approach any problem to simplify the problem, use any methods (models and heuristics preferred) that can solve it quickly and then sub in the answer to validate and confirm the answer is correct. This way all my answers are correct. :D

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:08 am

Some parents are teachers or ex-teachers too. Actually, I don't mind a mixture of both as long as the tutors do not advertise their service in the thread for answering questions. However, they can provide a link to their thread in the Market Place or Personals forum in the first post.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support