WHAT IS HIGHER CHINESE?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

WHAT IS HIGHER CHINESE?

Postby lynettewoo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:15 am

I'm contemplating on putting my son in a SAP school when he starts P1 next year. But the Higher Chinese part is the only thing holding me back. Then it struck me that I do not actually know what it entails and whether my son could cope, coming from a largely English speaking family.

Any parents out there have experience on this? What is HC and will kids be able to cope? If they opt out at P5 will it affect their chances of entering the affiliated Secondary School?

lynettewoo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: WHAT IS HIGHER CHINESE?

Postby lynettewoo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm not sure if he has a flair for Chinese yet. But I do plan to send him for enrichment and get a tutor at home. If he opts out of HC at P5 will he be able to get into the affiliated sec school? I've heard if he opts out he may not be able to get in.

lynettewoo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 pm

thesgmother wrote:
lynettewoo wrote:I'm contemplating on putting my son in a SAP school when he starts P1 next year. But the Higher Chinese part is the only thing holding me back. Then it struck me that I do not actually know what it entails and whether my son could cope, coming from a largely English speaking family.

Any parents out there have experience on this? What is HC and will kids be able to cope? If they opt out at P5 will it affect their chances of entering the affiliated Secondary School?

My children take higher chinese in school. As far as I know, the difference between the higher chinese course and the chinese course is:

For the primary schoolers, they can either opt for HMT(higher mother tongue) or MT depending on their chinese grade. The higher chinese course is more rigorous in terms of the words they have to know and the questions asked.

This is just my opinion, but if your family is english-speaking, your child will most likely find it harder to cope with HMT la, unless he is very interested in the subject or he happens to have a flair for it. but from my experience, your child will definitely find it harder to cope with HMT. so should you decide to opt for HMT, you might want to take some time to revise chinese with him more often to increase his interest in it.

As for their chances at secondary school, if they apply for a SAP school, they will be able to deduct points from their PSLE aggregate score if they get a certain grade at HMT i.e. distinction= minus 3 points from PSLE aggregate and so on...

You may also want to consider the fact that in sec 3, students opting for higher chinese will have to take o level chinese and for some schools, have to get a certain grade before they can advance to the next level. for e.g. in nanhua, you have to get A.
hope this helps. :smile:

Its points addition to the psle scores, not deduction.

And passing hcl at o level allow you to skip cl at a level.

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Higher Chinese only adds to the t-score if the child applies to a sap school eg. He can use Higher Chinese to apply to Hwa Chong but not RI. Higher Chinese has no bearing on affiliation from what I understand. The only reason that he can't go to the affiliated school is probably because his t-score doesn't meet the cop of the affiliated school.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dreamgear » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:13 pm

lynettewoo wrote:I'm not sure if he has a flair for Chinese yet. But I do plan to send him for enrichment and get a tutor at home. If he opts out of HC at P5 will he be able to get into the affiliated sec school? I've heard if he opts out he may not be able to get in.

Hcl and affiliation have no bearing on each other

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 pm

It's not to deduct points from PSLE but to add on if applying for SAP sec school. For example, if child score 255 and HCL is 2 points. When applying for SAP sec school he/she can use the additional 2 pts, ie 257 to apply to the SAP sec school. But for non-SAP school, the child's score will be 255, the additional 2 pts will not be included. The max score for HCL is 3 pts.

As to the qn will it affect application to affiliation sec school, so far I've not read such infor on the MOE's website. Maybe you can chk up the details fr the affiliated sec school.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Skyed » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 pm

The best benefit of taking HCL in secondary is the -2 points to your raw score :3 Regret not taking HCL.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby auntieM » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks for the info.. ..

Is it common for kids scoring below 70 to be offered a place as long as the parents 'want' it at P5 level? Another kid scoring above 90 decided against taking but changed his mind a day later, rejected.. ..
Heard this from DS's tuition friend and wondering if this is 'common'
Juz KPOg.. :smile:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby graciousbear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:48 pm

it depends from school to school. some neighbourhood or non-sap schools will allow a student to opt for hcl if her other subjects are doing really well and the teachers think that she will be able to cope

graciousbear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support