How to handle Chinese comprehension questions?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to handle Chinese comprehension questions?

Postby mother777 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:39 am

Hi All,
My DD is seriously facing problem handling Chinese comprehension OE type questions. :frustrated: :cry:

Our mother tongue is not Chinese and I don't have a clue how to guide her. :imdrowning:

Request all kind hearted parents to share tips which will benefit all kids struggling with this part of paper 2.

Pls help to advice :?:
1) How to categorise the common types of questions asked?
2) Is there a particular way to phrase certain type of questions?
3) How to find clues in the passage?
4) For inferential type of questions, what are the most common types of questions encountered?
5) Is there any good assessment book available only handling comprehension type questions?

Million thanks in advance...

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: How to handle Chinese comprehension questions?

Postby lnjason888 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 am

mother777 wrote:Hi All,
My DD is seriously facing problem handling Chinese comprehension OE type questions. :frustrated: :cry:

Our mother tongue is not Chinese and I don't have a clue how to guide her. :imdrowning:

Request all kind hearted parents to share tips which will benefit all kids struggling with this part of paper 2.

Pls help to advice :?:
1) How to categorise the common types of questions asked?
acturqlly Chinese comprehension questions are not difficult, usually the 1 and 2 questions' answer can be found during 1 and 2 paragraph, the 3 & 4 need students to describe with their own word, but the answer still in article. the last question need to analysis, eg, .......correct or wrong? do you think....? if ......, how.....? and so on.
2) Is there a particular way to phrase certain type of questions?
3) How to find clues in the passage?
firstly, you need to find the sentences about questions, then try to see the last and next sentences around the question sentences. pls take notes the the key words.
4) For inferential type of questions, what are the most common types of questions encountered?
5) Is there any good assessment book available only handling comprehension type questions?
yes, you can find in popular, on you can use "google books"to choose, just type "chinese assessment singapore"

Million thanks in advance...

lnjason888
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby rains » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 am

For Chinese OE, the clue can be found in similar words ie. Pick out from the passage the part that coincides with the group of words or phrase in the question.

Chinese OE goes easier on lifting, compared to English OE, as long as you phrase it in such a way that answers the question, but most of the time, you still need to know how to use the function words for this to happen.

The last one or two questions usually ask about how you feel or what you think or whether something is right or wrong.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mother777 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Rains,
thanks for your input.

Was just wondering if like enlish compre OE, are there any typical type of questions asked in chinese compre OE?
Like 5W1H type questions?
How to phrase the answers to these questions?

Also how to improve on the inferential type of questions which ask for your opinion or feelings?

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby rains » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:43 pm

I didn't analyse the question types, but typical Chinese OE questions are about 'Why' and 'how' ie. Why does he do this? Why does she think this way? How does he do that?

I got a feeling that Chinese questions cannot be done in the 5w1h way because it would be a giveaway especially 'what' and 'who'.

I notice that those failure to success stories usually ask questions like 'what do you learn from the main character?' and the child is required to say things like '不怕困难/失败,坚持到底的决心.'

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mother777 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:06 pm

wow.. thanks for your input.

I will ask my DD to learn answering the answers the way recommended by you.
'what do you learn from the main character?'
'不怕困难/失败,坚持到底的决心.
Translation from google translator is : Not afraid of difficulties / failure, determination to persist in the end.

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support