Any medicine or dietary to calm down during Exam

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Any medicine or dietary to calm down during Exam

Postby lymmlim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi,

My daughter always feel anxious and stress during exam. She has once or twice was 'brain block' during maths exam. She always complain stomach ache or 'cold sweat' when having exam. Teachers and Tutor said she knows her work and doing well during normal day or test. But, somehow, she did not do well in her exam. PSLE is just round the corner, I'm so afraid that she might have difficulties.

Could someone share your experience or any remedy to help her ?

Thanks.

lymmlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Any medicine or dietary to calm down during Exam

Postby lymmlim » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks, insider.

Hope it helps and will try out during her prelim exam.

insider wrote:I was taught long ago need to have water, water, water and food rich in protein before exams to overcome issues of mental block. If your child has mental block during exam, may get her to visit toilet during the exam and drink from the tap (if bottle is not allowed in the exam hall). The moment the body lacks water, the brain may 'malfunction' to a certain extent = mental block...

Trying to comb something for you to support those stuff that I learnt in the past and below is what I got. Go try!

Source: http://food.sify.com/articles/health/Ea ... ams-185949

The best liquid to drink before and during an exam is water. Water is essential as a body lubricant for various organs. Mucus that lubricates the digestive tract and the respiratory tract saliva, which makes it possible for us to, swallow the food, all contain water as an important component. So don't forget the elixir of life water during these exam days. Often fatigue and mild headaches is a sign that you are becoming dehydrated. If you don't consume enough water, your output of energy will drop. Carry a water bottle with you, and drink periodically throughout the day. Water speeds up brain function. Too little water slows it down and dehydrates the brain. When the brain dehydrates, it releases cortisol, a hormone that shrinks dendrites, the tree-like branches in the brain that store information and create memory. Cortisol also triggers the release of adrenalin, responsible for the body's fight-or-flight syndrome.

lymmlim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:32 pm

During my 'O' levels, I also had this 'brain block' problem.

My mum's solution: Cool Luo Han Guo :)

My dad's solution: Listen to classical music while studying & on the way to school for exam. Take Vitamin B in the morning.

My aunt's solution: Bach Flower Remedy. This is a range of flower essence to be taken orally & different flowers have different purposes. I personally felt the effect after taking this. I took 'Rescue Remedy' which helps to calm a person down. If you are keen, can email me for more information. I might be making a bulk purchase for it soon as my own stash is running out. I've introduced this to parents with hyperactive kids & they've shown improvements after using this. You can adjust the dosage & it's perfectly safe as it's made from flowers :)

My own solution: Convince myself that I've already studied everything to the best I can & when I get 'brain block', I'll just close my eyes, take deep breathe and count to 10. It works for me 90% of the time :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:11 am

[Editor's note: Topic selected and edited for Portal publication.]

I happened to catch a short clip on TV long time ago about chinese "ear massage" that supposedly help one to reduce feeling of stress. I sometimes apply this techniques when I feel the built up of stress and it somewhat calms me a bit. Since your child can't carry out the other techniques mentioned below in exam hall, just do the ears - rubbing and massaging her ears before exam to relax herself...But ask her to practice first at home to see whether it works for her...

Extract from internet:

Chinese self-massage techniques can help relax your body, release tension and reduce anxiety - all this and more without spending a single penny.
Based on medical traditions more than 2,000 years old, they're called Dao yin (DOW-in).

These techniques are part of a larger branch of Chinese medicine called qi gong (che-kung), meaning "energy work."

The purpose of self-massage is to maintain and restore balance and harmony of the body's various parts. To help achieve this, the flow of qi can be stimulated or unblocked by kneading, rubbing, slapping, pinching or gently pounding the surface of the body.

Here are some examples of self-massage techniques included in the June issue of Mayo Clinic Health Letter:

Wash face - Start by rubbing your hands together quickly until they are warmed by friction. Place the palms on the forehead and, pressing into your face, pull your hands down until your fingertips touch your chin. Circle your hands around your face a couple of times as if washing it.

Palm eyes - Rub your hands together and cover your eyes with your warm palms. Hold for about 30 seconds with your eyes open to receive the warmth of your hands.

Ear rub - Use your thumb and index finger to gently rub your outer ears until they are warm. Gently pinch and press the whole ear.

Shoulder massage - Reach back to your shoulder and neck with one hand and press and knead the muscles in that area. Repeat on the other side.

While the self-massage is not a cure all for a body that's not well cared for, according to research, massage can cause your body to release natural painkillers and may boost the immune system.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support