How to Prepare For Primary School

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to Prepare For Primary School

Postby mksmn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi all, may I know where do you send your children to get them prepared for P1? My child will be going to P1 next year but he still does not know a thing, he does not know how to read at all, am worried how is he going to cope when he is in P1. Would appreciate if you can share where do you send your children to help him well prepared for it and how good it is. Thank you.

mksmn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to Prepare For Primary School

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm

My kids are prepared by their kindy.

Does he know how to count 1 - 50?

Does he know addition and subtraction within 10?

Does he know how to spell one - twenty ?

Is he able to read 1 line sentence per page type of storybks?

Is he in kindy or ccc?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mksmn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:05 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:My kids are prepared by their kindy.

Is he in kindy or ccc?

He is in a ccc and the answer is "no" to all questions except no 1. :oops:

mksmn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm

mksmn wrote:

Is he in kindy or ccc?

Did you ask the teachers what happen?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mksmn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:
mksmn wrote:

Is he in kindy or ccc?

Did you ask the teachers what happen?

Do you mean they are supposed to know question 2 to 4 by K1? :scared: :nailbite: I thought they will be taught these only in K2 this year which they have started to have English and Chinese Spelling but no homework. I am more worried on the reading part. :sad:

mksmn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mksmn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am

I know there are some courses to prep the children for P1. Anyone sent your children to these courses before? Are they really good and effective? Can share where did you send them to and what do you think of it especially if your child is like mine who is still not able to read on own yet. Thank you.

mksmn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Just relax » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:25 am

I think learning to read is the job the parents have to do. It is not something to outsource. It is not too late to start. U have to look for books he likes with pictures and start reading to him in short time periods. Eventually with patience and persistence your child will read on his own.

For DS2 it took us up to almost 4 years of patience and persistence until P2 when he began to read on his own for enjoyment. It was a Eureka! moment for us.

Just relax
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:36 am

If your ds is having spelling, he is able to read and recognise some words?

I'm trying to understand what your ds already knows and what are your expectations.

For P1 prep classes, it will be preparing what the kids would encounter in P1 work in terms of Eng and Maths. So for Eng there will be vocab building, grammar etc. for maths, there will be simple addition, counting, etc.

If your child cannot read, then you will need a different programme specific to reading, which you can do it if you wish or to outsource there are several mentioned in the forum too. There are positive and negative feedback becos each parent experience is different.

As to qn 2-4, depending on the kindy and ccc, some will progress more than qn 2-4 and some will progress less for K1. I have no answer to how much a K1 kid suppose to know. I guess depends on child and parents.

Does your child know the sound of each letter in the alphabet? Is your child able to read this " The cat sat on the mat" ?

If you ds is in ccc for at least 2 years and you feel he does not know anything, did the teachers tell you why? So that you can find the appropriate solution to help your ds.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iLoveChubby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:04 am

mksmn wrote:I know there are some courses to prep the children for P1. Anyone sent your children to these courses before? Are they really good and effective? Can share where did you send them to and what do you think of it especially if your child is like mine who is still not able to read on own yet. Thank you.

Sounds like your kid will need basic/phonics class to begin with.
There are some in the market eg Montessori phonics, Lcentral, Learning Point,I CAN READ, Read-in-a-week Phonics, Mindstretcher etc.
You may wish to refer to this thread for more info/feedback :
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=940

Having said that, I agree with Just Relax that parents play an important role in helping the kids to read (esp with slow/reluctant readers). Altho' i send my kid to enrichment class, I still revise with him few times a week and read to him every night.
You may wish to check out interesting books from Usborne, Ladybird, Pelangi (can be found in Popular).
Peter & Jane series is also a good series to start sight word reading with.
Or you can explore public libraries, most have good selection of children's books.

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sweetbaby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

Is he a reluctant reader or isn't equip with the basics to read or have difficulties in blending sounds? Why dont you contact any of the above phonics centres and sign up for an assessment? This will allow you to figure out how much phonics he knows. It might be helpful to check his eyesight as well.

sweetbaby
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support