Science topics - Different school, different topics. Why?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Science topics - Different school, different topics. Why?

Postby mwchua » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm

I always have this problem with Science, so wish to seek some kind advice here.

Even though broadly speaking there are only 5 topics in both lower & upper block: Diversity, Cycles, Interaction, System, Energy, but different schools will cover different topics in P3 & P4, as well as P5 & P6.

As a result, when I want to give test papers for my girl to practise, I have to ask her to strike out those questions that she has not covered yet in school. Also, if I send her for enrichment class, the centre might also cover different topics.

Just wondering how do you all cope with this? Also don't understand why can't MOE standardize the topics to be covered by all schools? Why leave it to the individual schools' decision?

Thanks.

rgds,
ming

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

1 people like this post

Re: Science topics - Different school, different topics. Why

Postby AtoZ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Same problem and wondering why?

AtoZ
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby TheAnswer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm teaching science both private tuition and group tuition. Sadly it's hard to manage the group tuition when all the schools doing different topics at the same time. Not just that, they also examine on different topics sometimes. This makes revision during group tuition challenging. For P5/6 science and sec 1/2 science same issue when u go to tuition centers.

When I give them test papers, I need to sieve out the relevant questions. How I wish MOE will do sth about it soon.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Laura02 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:01 pm

I would hope that the teachers in my dc's school decide on the sequence of topics to cover based on how they think that they should present the concepts in a logical, digestible manner. But dc does not go for science tuition. I like that schools are given the leeway to teach according to what they think suits their students and situation best. I do not think that all schools should follow a certain fixed sequence for students who go for tuition.

Laura02
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

1 people like this post

Postby HAPPYH » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 am

Laura02 wrote:I would hope that the teachers in my dc's school decide on the sequence of topics to cover based on how they think that they should present the concepts in a logical, digestible manner. But dc does not go for science tuition. I like that schools are given the leeway to teach according to what they think suits their students and situation best. I do not think that all schools should follow a certain fixed sequence for students who go for tuition.

Yes, you r right to say that schools do not need to follow the tuition centres. However, when we use the top school papers for revision, it becomes troublesome although it is not difficult to cross out the questions. When it happens to me, bit irritated too.

HAPPYH
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cindyll » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:43 am

Is that one of the reason why most of the kids are not able to score well in Science?

cindyll
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 am

I don't mind the inconvenience if the bigger picture is served.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 am

cindyll wrote:Is that one of the reason why most of the kids are not able to score well in Science?

Is it so that most kids don't score well?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 am

I noticed that since P3. Don't find it a major problem le. Just strike out those topics not covered yet.

My dd doesn't do other schools exam papers though, only attempt past year papers from her own school, given by her school teacher before exam.

Also, if school taught a topic before tuition center, then treat as revision during tuition. No harm revising? Eventually will cover all topics anyway

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 am

cindyll wrote:Is that one of the reason why most of the kids are not able to score well in Science?

:skeptical: meaning no tuition, so most kids not able to score well in science? :scared:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support