Preparation for SA2 Math

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Preparation for SA2 Math

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:41 am

Hi All

Can I just check with fellow KS member for the above?

How do you pace up for the above prior to the math sa2 paper?

I used to get my child finish all the math sa2 papers ahead of time, and make him redo all the questions, and even picked up very challenging questions for him to try a few days before the exams, and not to mention practise a lot few days before the paper...He could do every question that I gave.Unfortunately, he mental block on the exam itself and therefore did not do well.

Just wonder, by giving school formatting two weeks paper by paper basis to the child, would it be a better idea?That get him to sit down and have the feel what is exam going to be like?

There again, am worried he cannot remembered the mistakes that he used to make in earlier questions that he has done....

Appreciate members out there can share with me on the above.thanks alot.

Regards
Lynn2

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Suz855 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:32 am

Maths is all about practise, practises and more practises. Getting the kids to try on variety of qns regularly. With good discipline and study habbits, Maths is a subject that can easily ACE .... have fun :D

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Lynn2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:49 am

Hi there

How do you ensure that the mistakes will not repeat?At times, they may forget the steps in doing some questions, so thus repeating the questions here?Or should we just zero in the weaker area ?thanks

Suz855 wrote:Maths is all about practise, practises and more practises. Getting the kids to try on variety of qns regularly. With good discipline and study habbits, Maths is a subject that can easily ACE .... have fun :D

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby joconde » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 am

Your child is probably still confused with math concepts and lacks confidence.

I believe that if a child is clear of math concepts, regardless of what exam format is, he will still perform. So for me I seldom make my son do an entire math SA paper. It just takes up too much time and is very brain-draining. The child might just end up spending unnecessary effort practicing the questions that he is already confident of. It is more effective to focus on the weak area.

For me, i simply make my son redo the questions he's got wrong before (on sch worksheets and test papers). To make sure he does not do it by memorizing the solution, I follow up with similiar questions until he is thoroughly clear. (Sometimes you may need to search around workbooks and group similiar questions together, or come up with you own questions). Then, few days later, test him again with similiar questions. Once he's ok with it, move on to the next question set. Mix questions of different topics only after he is clear of individual topic.

For some students, numbers are very abstract. Using visual/graphic helps. Eg, unit conversion like : 2074ml = ___l ___ml. Draw pic of containers so that he can visualize and understand the steps in conversion, rather than just following the steps blindly.

Do not spend too much time on very challenging questions as they make up only a small percentage of the paper. If ur child can grasp the basic math concepts right, he can score enuf marks to make good grade. If he is still confused with baisc concept, introducing challenging questions will only confuse him more.

Also drill him on speed and accuracy in calculation. This is very crucial esp P5 onwards, as there are many questions to complete, and some students may panic and get mental block if he realize he is behind time.

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby joconde » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 am

just to add : You can check if he truly understands the solution or not by doing this : after he solved a problem sum, pick a line in his workings and ask him to explain his step. If he did it by memory, he will shrug his shoulders and say "dunno". Then you will know that he had done it blindly.

If he can explain to you the logic then he is fine. But take note that it doesn't matter how clearly he can explain cos most young kids can hardly explain themselves clearly. Impt is he must sound confident and know what he is doing

hope all these helps :D

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support