What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homework?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby jedamum » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 pm

I didn't. He will come approach me when he is in doubt. If don't know how to do, we wait for his dad to come home. If his dad doesn't know, we see if internet can find, eg research or post at forum. If still can't, we just leave it and wait for teacher to go through or just guess an answer and wait.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8517
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby BeContented » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:39 pm

jedamum wrote:I didn't. He will come approach me when he is in doubt. If don't know how to do, we wait for his dad to come home. If his dad doesn't know, we see if internet can find, eg research or post at forum. If still can't, we just leave it and wait for teacher to go through or just guess an answer and wait.


Same here. I have no patience to sit with them :oops:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:25 am
Total Likes: 84


Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby Nihauma » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:05 pm

in the beginning of p1 i always hovered around him. now i just let him do. somehow he has gained the ability to finish the task on his own. so i am letting go slowly. if has questions ask me. for me chinese very bad so i will check dictionary or ask his dad. if all dont know then just do and see what answer the teacher gives lo.

hopefully in a future he will be independent enough to do his homework without being asked.

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby ammonite » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:08 pm

I used to do that with my kid as he had some learning needs, but now at P3, I don't anymore. He will ask me if he has questions. Generally I can manage the work (Chinese/Maths). If I can't, the dad definitely can't. ;P Modelling was hard for me at first, but after getting a few books for myself to look through, I can manage it now. I will also look at the Maths threads for P5/P6 questions when I am free and learn from the examples. They are very useful!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:19 pm

My school gives very little homework, almost none, so it is more homework from home instead.

I subscribe for e-learning websites so the marking is automated. Sometimes I sit beside DS (p3 now) when he is doing the work so that I can get a sense of his standard/speed but I do not do it all the time.

DS has to do 5 pages of Chinese writing daily as part of his training to 修身养性 and it is also easier for me to manage his Chinese spelling.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 9



Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby ammonite » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:DS has to do 5 pages of Chinese writing daily as part of his training to 修身养性 and it is also easier for me to manage his Chinese spelling.


Wow, that is very good! pei fu!!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2222
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am
Total Likes: 64


Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby Steadyberry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:My school gives very little homework, almost none, so it is more homework from home instead.

I subscribe for e-learning websites so the marking is automated. Sometimes I sit beside DS (p3 now) when he is doing the work so that I can get a sense of his standard/speed but I do not do it all the time.

DS has to do 5 pages of Chinese writing daily as part of his training to 修身养性 and it is also easier for me to manage his Chinese spelling.



My ds is also in p3 but yr ds and my ds is completely diff. Sometimes ask to stay back at tuition to complete his hw & given warning by ft for not doing his hw. No assessment books throughout the yr except test papers just before the real ca & sa. I want to :stupid:

Since he is only in p3, most of the que can be solved. If I m stuck in maths n sci, will look for similar que in assessment bks n figure out how to solve by looking at answers provided. eng, refer to web. CL, he is on his own as I m Chinese illiterate.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby Mawar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

I don't sit down with my kids when they complete their homework. Once in awhile they will ask me to clarify certain concepts or bounce off certain ideas. They are able to complete their own work independently. If they are unable to complete their homework for whatever reason, they refer to their school teachers.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm
Total Likes: 11


Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby Steadyberry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:13 pm

But once he is in p5 & p6, not sure whether I can still help him or not. Most likely like jedamum, guess first & wait. Previously my ds has a 1-to-1 tutor. I did ask for help once but seemed like the tutor didn't want to help with school hw. Worst thing was he will always get my ds to do new topic first for example fractions. If he has mistake, he will go over that question only and not the whole topic. No mistake, he will move on. Then switched to group tuition. Not able to ask too as she has classes before and after my ds's class. So for me, first is to refer to books and web, if still can't solve, only can guess and wait.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: What do you do when you cannot solve your child's homewo

Postby Steadyberry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Mawar wrote:I don't sit down with my kids when they complete their homework. Once in awhile they will ask me to clarify certain concepts or bounce off certain ideas. They are able to complete their own work independently. If they are unable to complete their homework for whatever reason, they refer to their school teachers.



Hi mawar

Yr dc so lucky. Can ask sch teachers. I never ask my dc to ask sch teachers because I see hw done few days ago still not marked and worse, still inside bag not collected. Do not think the sch teacher has the time to go over with my ds. My neighbor told me her ds's ft called her and asked her to do something which means either she teach herself or engage a tutor. Our ds from same school and same level, but diff form teacher. So either I try to help or else guess and wait.

Steadyberry
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support