Rising Standards of Examination Questions

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Rising Standards of Examination Questions

Postby gifted_indian » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi all,

I have been in touch with the school syllabus for quite some time. And I am shocked by the increasing standards of examination questions, more evidently in the upper primary levels.

Then, there are the textbooks versus the past year examination papers. The differences in standards are truly far apart - one emphasises on the basic concepts, the other on heuristics, process skills, and everything else you would expect "Singapore's Brainiest Kid" to solve and get all correct.

My question: To keep up with the standards of probable questions, would you look at the year of publication, or exam paper year? Is there a flexible "rule of thumb" to denote whether the questions of that particular cohort could be rendered "too easy, can throw", or "2006 - 2008 can use, anything before that would be too easy" kinda thing?

gifted_indian
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:01 am

If you are talking about maths, the syllabus has changed to allow use of calculators for certain papers. Without the need to manually calculate your answers, questions will of cos be harder and require more thinking :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:54 am

It's not uncommon to hear of P1 kids doing P2 or even P3 assessment books. They are all geared up way before commencing P1. With children getting smarter & smarter every year, can't set an exam paper where half the class get full marks, right?

For Maths, the shift in focus is towards brain maths. I suppose the abilty to think critically is important for our future generation to compete internationally, more so than ever, thus the shift towards thinking maths to stimulate the minds.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Rising Standards of Examination Questions

Postby atutor2001 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:13 pm

gifted_indian wrote:Hi all,

Is there a flexible "rule of thumb" to denote whether the questions of that particular cohort could be rendered "too easy, can throw", or "2006 - 2008 can use, anything before that would be too easy" kinda thing?

For math. a "5-mark" question in the early 2000 will not appear as "3-mark" question. So I don't throw math paper away.

There is not much change in English and Science.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Rising Standards of Examination Questions

Postby gifted_indian » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:21 pm

atutor2001 wrote:
gifted_indian wrote:Hi all,

Is there a flexible "rule of thumb" to denote whether the questions of that particular cohort could be rendered "too easy, can throw", or "2006 - 2008 can use, anything before that would be too easy" kinda thing?

For math. a "5-mark" question in the early 2000 will not appear as "3-mark" question. So I don't throw math paper away.

There is not much change in English and Science.

That's the problem you see. I realise a rising standard in English too, especially P5 and P6. I gauged that by assessing the vocabulary words for Q16-25. Even the SynTrans questions on Q66-70 seem to have more diverse sentence structures for transformation. Gulp. o.O

gifted_indian
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support