Speed Maths

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Speed Maths

Postby kitty2 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Anyone send your kid to speedmaths?I heard they've a class at RI during sept holiday,for the PSLE kids.

Any feedback,please share,thanks

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:01 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby sally » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 pm

I send my boy there last Dec but his feedback was boring.Maybe becos is too easy for him.

sally
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:32 pm
Total Likes: 0


3G ABACUS

Postby Striker09 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 am

Because of my 6 yrs old son, I have personally spending times exploring 3G Abacus & Traditional Abacus.

After completing the 3G ABACUS instructor course, I have applied the methods to teach my son. It is very simple & easy to understand. As such, he has shown more interest in mathematics than before.

I am planning to let him take part in the INTERNATIONAL Grading Exam this coming DEC 09. If possible, I will let him take part in year 2009 competition.

Currently, I am teaching kids & parents the 3G Abacus.
If you are interested in 3G ABACUS, please email me.

Striker09
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:21 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: 3G ABACUS

Postby belinda » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Striker09 wrote:Because of my 6 yrs old son, I have personally spending times exploring 3G Abacus & Traditional Abacus.

After completing the 3G ABACUS instructor course, I have applied the methods to teach my son. It is very simple & easy to understand. As such, he has shown more interest in mathematics than before.

I am planning to let him take part in the INTERNATIONAL Grading Exam this coming DEC 09. If possible, I will let him take part in year 2009 competition.

Currently, I am teaching kids & parents the 3G Abacus.
If you are interested in 3G ABACUS, please email me.


Hi Striker09, wat is 3G ABACUS? wat is the different with traditional Abacus?

belinda
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:13 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby radiantmum » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi belinda,

Go browse CMA Maths thread. Here's what I just pick up from abacus_trainer ...

"There are 3 types of abacus.
-1st generation is the China type, 2 beads on top, 5 beads below.
-2nd generation is invented by the Japanese, modified from the chinese abacus call the soroban, 1 bead above, 4 beads below.
-3rd generation is invented by a Singaporean lady (Mdm Chee) in 2005, 9 beads on top, 1 bead below (http://www.3gabacus.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26). "

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:36 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:47 pm

radiantmum wrote:Hi belinda,

Go browse CMA Maths thread. Here's what I just pick up from abacus_trainer ...

"There are 3 types of abacus.
-1st generation is the China type, 2 beads on top, 5 beads below.
-2nd generation is invented by the Japanese, modified from the chinese abacus call the soroban, 1 bead above, 4 beads below.
-3rd generation is invented by a Singaporean lady (Mdm Chee) in 2005, 9 beads on top, 1 bead below (http://www.3gabacus.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26). "


That's what I read too.
& I went on reading slightly further on the different methods.

Apparently 3G Abacus' system is quite similar to methods such as number bonds taught in Primary Schools (MOE syllabus). I personally find it 3G Abacus will be better suited for children studying in SG schools.

If one is able to coach the students 3G Abacus method bearing in mind the local primary school syllabus, it'll be perfect. That's what I'm intending to do now, attend the adult courses to get instructor certification, then teach my own son my 'modified' method to suit our local system. Hope it works!

Btw, as a young kid, I personally learnt the old traditional abacus (1 bead on top, 5 beads below). Did not enjoy it as it was different from methods taught in school although I did mental sums faster than other kids.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby radiantmum » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 pm

WOW you are certainly a VIP - VERY INVOLVED PARENT :D

I salute you in your thoroughness in finding the most suitable method for your kid :celebrate: Sounds like you've got a good value proposition there too that will appeal to clueless parents like myself. I actually didnt know the various abacus differences until enlightened by abacus_trainer earlier :oops:

radiantmum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:36 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Irene Ng » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:49 pm

sally wrote:I send my boy there last Dec but his feedback was boring.Maybe becos is too easy for him.


Hi, where your son attending the 3G abacus?
My daughter took the lesson at sengkang Compassvale Road. Coris RC teached by Mdm Suen.

Irene Ng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:43 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support