P5 Close Passage

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

P5 Close Passage

Postby kitty2 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:22 am

How to improve Comprehension Cloze?It's a killer for my daughter!!!!Wonder whether tuition helps as she never have any english tuition before.Is there any trick to do well in this area?

Thanks for sharing

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joconde » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:18 pm

Same here ! My p5 son also struggling with this. Actually, i myself sometimes also need to look at the answers before guiding him :oops:

Sometimes when he is stuck, i will give him prompts, like p_ _ _ ing. Or I will ask him to first decide if the missing word is a noun, verb, adjective, preposition or conjunction. This helps narrow down the search. If the child is really very weak, you can write down some helping words to let him choose from. That means it becomes a comphre cloze with some helping words, esp for prepositions and conjunctions. Then slowly build up his confidence.

I also ask him to read the passage once before filling in the blanks, this gives him an overall picture of the whole passage.

Anyone else who can share more tips on this, ur help is much appreciated !

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kaydenbrown » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Get them to read more texts so that the language and prose seems natural to them.
Moreover, they should try to look at the passage as a whole rather than the blanks one by one.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support