Comprehension skills advice...

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Comprehension skills advice...

Postby sean wife » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:09 am

How to coach for comprehension?

Can comprehension skills be taught and learned? Sometimes I find it difficult to access if the child's answer is wrong although it is different from the model answer given. For eg. The passage is about a boy baking a cake for his mum's birthday. Then he fell asleep while the cake in the oven and when he woke up, the cake was burnt and inedible and he cried. One of the question is ' why did the boy cry?'
My child's answer- 'he was sad that he had no cake to give to his mum' which I marked as wrong because the answer is ' the cake he baked was burnt and inedible'
But if u think deeper, the child's answer seem to be correct too, as it reflects the feelings why he is sad when the cake is burnt...
But I guess in school context, the teacher will look out for key words in the answer right?
Tks for any sharing...

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Comprehension skills advice...

Postby smartmummy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:01 am

how old is ur child?

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sean wife » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:38 pm

K2...

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smartmummy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:34 pm

sean wife wrote:K2...

when my son was in P1, Teacher encourages to copy from the passage.Now my son in P5.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:23 pm

If your child is only K2, then forget the model answers! The important thing now is get your child to think and reason, not to second-guess the answer key. As long as you can see that your child's reasoning is valid, I would be happy. If you are concerned that your child isn't getting the model answer, then you can follow on to ask 'how can you see from the story that...' or something along those lines. Frankly, from the example you gave, your child's answer is better than the answer key, and the best answer would probably incorporate both.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushigal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi

Your child is only 6 years old. Just have his/her education less than 2 years. Please do not pressurize your child. Let him enjoy his learning.

My gal is in P4 and speak good English and yet to master her Comprehension Skill.

The school teacher mentions it is very common for every child because understanding is not easy.

Is all about reading. Let him/her read everyday like my both gals do.

My girl speaks with an American Accent. These praises are from the teachers, friends, neighbours. We are both Chinese. Just because she reads, reads, and reads everyday without fail.

Get your child to engage with Speech & Drama. It helps both of my girls. I have no fear they will fail their English.

Your child is still too young to grab the understanding of Compre.

Hope that helps.

sushigal
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

1 people like this post

Postby Blue Pearl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks for sharing sushigal. yeah, that is the common feedback i recd - read read read. Do children have time to read? how do your get ur child to read? My gal is next year P1. Though we have storybooks, depends on her mood, she will pick up her book which is very rare.

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sushigal » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 am

Reading comes like a habit. Don't need to force just create the right environment. Yes, children have time to read.

Take for eg: my 2nd girl is a special child. Rainbow Magic caught her eyes. Within 2 days, she finishes 9 books.

Both of my girls join Speech & Drama comes with Creative Writing. The teachers there are very positive and they influence my girls with books. As & when the teacher teaches certain character, they shared with us. Immediately, my hubby will order the book for them in London so they can have the copy.

So it boils down to the right teacher who can influence them.

Hope my sharing has helped.

sushigal
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby graciousbear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:36 pm

nowadays some questions must infer or read between lines. good to pick up the habit of reading fiction books

graciousbear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby optimistforum » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:06 pm

I am an avid follower of this forum, and I live here in the UK. My sons are both poor readers, but instead of getting them to read books, I get them to do vocab exercises and short comprehensions from EPH Challenging 4 in 1 English, Complete Practice and English Guide. Additionally, I use a suite of books still in use called "Once a Week Comprehension", by Hadyn Perry. These really do develop intensive reading. There are 4 books pitched at SG P2 to P5.

It has worked as DS1 has entered one of the top schools in England, and DS1 should follow him in two years time.
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support