Tonic or chicken essence before exam?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Tonic or chicken essence before exam?

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:59 am

Can I just check with KS members here do you let your child take the above before they go to the exam?

I used to take chicken essence but find it very heaty...

rgds

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mathsparks » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:01 am

Hi Lynn2,

Both my kids take them during term time.

My P6 boy once a week before school; during exams week, it goes up to twice and he usually chooses the days when he has chinese paper/oral.

Somehow, he is convinced that the effects doesn't last more than 2 hours so if his papers are after recess, he has this feeling it doesn't help.

My J1 girl takes them twice a week, before bed time and she wakes up feeling refreshed.

During her O levels year, we supplement that with EYS's ginseng tablets too.

When there's sale on chix ess, I stock them.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks, mathspark.

Just wonder, how the gingseng tablets work?

Will chicken essence cause heatiness in body for them?

rgds

mathsparks wrote:Hi Lynn2,

Both my kids take them during term time.

My P6 boy once a week before school; during exams week, it goes up to twice and he usually chooses the days when he has chinese paper/oral.

Somehow, he is convinced that the effects doesn't last more than 2 hours so if his papers are after recess, he has this feeling it doesn't help.

My J1 girl takes them twice a week, before bed time and she wakes up feeling refreshed.

During her O levels year, we supplement that with EYS's ginseng tablets too.

When there's sale on chix ess, I stock them.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mathsparks » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi Lynn2,

My son takes barley once a week while girl takes cooling water sometimes. So, I don't think they have heaty problems.

The ginseng capsules can be found here : http://www.euyansang.com.sg/webapp/comm ... rfnbr=5496

Purpose as mentioned on the web: Nourish yin and clear away heat, replenish vital energy and promote secretion of body fluids. Effective for relieving fatigue and increasing working efficiency and memory.

How old is yr child? ginseng is not suitable for young ones. Do check with eys.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Tonic or chicken essence before exam?

Postby atutor2001 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:16 am

Hi Lynn2

I let my girls take "Brand" essence of chicken before each paper. It seems to work but not sure if it is pyschological :D

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kuzco » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:12 pm

I give my son Brands essence of chicken too during the exams. He likes to take them when he is taking his Maths and Science paper. He says it helps him to concentrate. Don't know whether psychological or not, but if he says so, then I suppose it's so for him.

However, do you all give the children's version or the adult version? My son is currently 12 years old. Am wondering if it is ok to give the bigger bottle, but on the other hand, I am afraid that it might be too heaty if he takes too much of it. Would love to hear from other parents. :?

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 pm

kuzco wrote:I give my son Brands essence of chicken too during the exams. He likes to take them when he is taking his Maths and Science paper. He says it helps him to concentrate. Don't know whether psychological or not, but if he says so, then I suppose it's so for him.

However, do you all give the children's version or the adult version? My son is currently 12 years old. Am wondering if it is ok to give the bigger bottle, but on the other hand, I am afraid that it might be too heaty if he takes too much of it. Would love to hear from other parents. :?

Placebo or not, Brands essence is a standard procedure for my son before his major events (tests, competitions, etc). Guess we've all been brain-washed from young by OUR parents :)

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby daisyt » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 am

hi kuzco, my girl is 13 and i started giving her 1 bottle since last year. You have to observe the body condition of your child and his reaction to 1 bottle of essense. If there is no sign of heaty, should be fine.

I prefer yu ren sheng essense of chicken because they contain no charamel. However, they can be more expensive than Brands.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:42 am

kuzco wrote:However, do you all give the children's version or the adult version? My son is currently 12 years old. Am wondering if it is ok to give the bigger bottle, but on the other hand, I am afraid that it might be too heaty if he takes too much of it. Would love to hear from other parents. :?

I give mine the adult version since the start of the year. He's not 12 yet. I guess it depends on whether yr child finds it heaty.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:08 pm

I remember when we were younger, my mum will heat up a bottle of brands chix essence for us in the morning if we are having exams. Problem is after drinking it, I will promptly vomit it all out. Hahah.

Sorry, not contributing as I am still in my 'honeymoon' years of parenthood. But this topic sure does bring back memories.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support