Enrichments when primary 1 starts

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Enrichments when primary 1 starts

Postby car118 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 am

Dear all
My ds is gg to start primary one next yr. At this moment he has berries and I can read on wkday afternoon, Mpm math and violin on sat. Wondering whether anyone encounter my kind of situation and do advise where or how to slot in when ur child start P1? Or shall I give up anyone of them? Please advise. Thanks.

car118
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Enrichments when primary 1 starts

Postby jedamum » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:43 pm

My p1 has berries, english, math and piano. Except for english, the rest are scheduled on weekends. We intend to stop his math after june (as we have paid till june) and slot in swimming. His math enrichment is also mainly to instill fun in learning math as we have already covered the concepts at home - he already knows his 12 times tables while the centre is only going to start multiplication next week. Intend to let him try some IQ math books at home and sign up for holiday programme only.Intend to sign up swimmmg too. His p1 workload is very very relax, no homework, so he is managing very well.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby car118 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 pm

jedamum wrote:My p1 has berries, english, math and piano. Except for english, the rest are scheduled on weekends. We intend to stop his math after june (as we have paid till june) and slot in swimming. His math enrichment is also mainly to instill fun in learning math as we have already covered the concepts at home - he already knows his 12 times tables while the centre is only going to start multiplication next week. Intend to let him try some IQ math books at home and sign up for holiday programme only.Intend to sign up swimmmg too. His p1 workload is very very relax, no homework, so he is managing very well.

I ve sat to squeeze in only. We wan to ve Sunday free for him to play n relax. Hopefully like wat u say P1 is relaxing enough for him to cope. My intention is to drop I can read if possible. Hope everything turn up well.

car118
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lisayvonne » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:17 pm

car118 wrote:Dear all
My ds is gg to start primary one next yr. At this moment he has berries and I can read on wkday afternoon, Mpm math and violin on sat. Wondering whether anyone encounter my kind of situation and do advise where or how to slot in when ur child start P1? Or shall I give up anyone of them? Please advise. Thanks.

I think your schedule is great. As far as I know, I can read and MPM math also have primary programs. In consideration of continuity, these pros are great choices. My daughter uses beestar for math and ELA. Maybe you want to check it. It's for elementary kids. Math pro is for free. There are two worksheets every week. DD does math on sat and ELA on sun.
Lisa

lisayvonne
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby car118 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:37 pm

lisayvonne wrote:

I think your schedule is great. As far as I know, I can read and MPM math also have primary programs. In consideration of continuity, these pros are great choices. My daughter uses beestar for math and ELA. Maybe you want to check it. It's for elementary kids. Math pro is for free. There are two worksheets every week. DD does math on sat and ELA on sun.
Lisa

Thanks for the assurance! Was also tinking whether mpm is gd enough for him thru lower primary as well

car118
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sweetbaby456 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 am

Chill parents.
P1,P2 still honeymoon year-no need to stress n force poor child go your enrichment.

Sweetbaby456
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sembgal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi, if you have the financial support to send your child for enrichment, by all means go ahead. MPM do not teach a child to tackle heuristics questions in Math. You can burnt your weekend by fetching the child for enrichment and start to ponder what is the meaning of life to spend your weekend ferrying your child around. Children like parents to spend time with them, not sent them for more enrichment. Why not try teaching your child yourself? I believe those enrichment will cost you at least $500 per month.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby magiccastle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:15 am

Sembgal
I totally agree with u. My p2 girl does not attend any academic enrichment at all . she is doing pretty fine in school . I DIY to teach her phonic , han yu pinyin , math n chinese.
Instead of rushing from 1 enrichment class to another and spending $$ n time . not knowing whether the child really progress or improve , I prefer to teach them myself so that I can identify the areas where the child is weak at and then focus on the areas to ensure the child learn from the mistakes n understand . Moreover , I find that we spend a lot of time sending the kids to and forth and stress up if late for class. This itself will take up more than the lesson time .
Any way, Children prefer to play . My children always get exited when I bring them to the parks. So I rather bring them to parks than to academic enrichment classes. Children get to learn tho play n enjoy. Parents will be more relaxed .
Weekends should be for family bonding and relax .

magiccastle
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby car118 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:55 am

Well, I definitely agreed to wat u both sembgal & magiccastle had in mind. Which is why I insist Sunday is definitely no wk day all play. I do really wish that I can teach on my own but my wk keeps me away from early till late. By the time I reach home daily is already 830pm. I rather spent the balance night chit chat with him abt his day than teaching b4 he goes to sleep.
Fortunately, my sil who is teacher has volunteer to help with tuition much later on. By then I shall stop the enrichments.

car118
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Blue Pearl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 am

Yeah i really agree with all of you. I am also trying my best to cut down classes for my kids so that at least sun can be a family time. Shall be my new year's resolution.

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support