English Compo Writing=any quick way to start(plan)?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

English Compo Writing=any quick way to start(plan)?

Postby vinegar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am

Hi,
Is there any quick way(guideline,etc) to "kickstart" the compo writing? :?:

The only thing i know is to ask my P3 son to look at pic & think abt:what/where/how/when/who...But he takes very long to start....

His tutor commented he nid to brush up his compo planning skills,in order to write faster.But she didn't give any clue/tip to do so :?

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: English Compo Writing=any quick way to start(plan)?

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 pm

I taught my kids to think of a compo as mainly 3 parts - beginning, middle, end (very obvious!). For the basic model, the main excitement should come in the middle, and based on the picture or topic, I ask my kids to first think about how they want that to be. After that, they can think about the 2 ends, ask themselves the 4WH questions etc. It may help to draw a 'hill' on a piece of paper with the main excitement at the top of the hill - he can jot some notes there, and the jot more notes at the 2 sides for the 2 ends. There are other ways to organise a compo, but start with this basic model first.

For practice, get him to do the planning orally with you first, with you writing the notes for him to show him how to do it. Get him to do each one quickly - at most 3 mins for each. For each picture, help him plan several different possible stories. If you do this regularly, he should get the hang of it. And, for fun, let him do a few with crazy or silly story lines too, even if they can't be used for boring school compos. It makes the process more fun!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby vinegar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I taught my kids to think of a compo as mainly 3 parts - beginning, middle, end (very obvious!). For the basic model, the main excitement should come in the middle, and based on the picture or topic, I ask my kids to first think about how they want that to be. After that, they can think about the 2 ends, ask themselves the 4WH questions etc. It may help to draw a 'hill' on a piece of paper with the main excitement at the top of the hill - he can jot some notes there, and the jot more notes at the 2 sides for the 2 ends. There are other ways to organise a compo, but start with this basic model first.

For practice, get him to do the planning orally with you first, with you writing the notes for him to show him how to do it. Get him to do each one quickly - at most 3 mins for each. For each picture, help him plan several different possible stories. If you do this regularly, he should get the hang of it. And, for fun, let him do a few with crazy or silly story lines too, even if they can't be used for boring school compos. It makes the process more fun!

Draw a hill, good great idea!! Yes, u r right, i shld make it more interesting
:thankyou:

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Skyed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Encourage your kid to read more books.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vinegar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:39 am

Skyed wrote:Encourage your kid to read more books.

i did,but he doesn't hv the patience to finish the whole book.He likes Ellie Belly books,i bot all the series for him.

He is still very playful. After spending half a day in school,another half a day on CCA or tuition,and all the endless homework,really seems no time to read.Even hv time,i've to allocate some time for him to relax,let him watch some TV n play....

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:42 am

slmkhoo wrote:I taught my kids to think of a compo as mainly 3 parts - beginning, middle, end (very obvious!). For the basic model, the main excitement should come in the middle, and based on the picture or topic, I ask my kids to first think about how they want that to be. After that, they can think about the 2 ends, ask themselves the 4WH questions etc. It may help to draw a 'hill' on a piece of paper with the main excitement at the top of the hill - he can jot some notes there, and the jot more notes at the 2 sides for the 2 ends. There are other ways to organise a compo, but start with this basic model first.

how did u come out the idea of using the "hill"?? r u teacher? very creative.

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 am

vinegar wrote:how did u come out the idea of using the "hill"?? r u teacher? very creative.

Can't remember. I know my kids' teacher in Pr school also used something like this, but it had 5 stages which I thought a bit unnecessary when they are just starting. No, I'm not a teacher and never wanted to be, but we have lived overseas a lot and I've had to homeschool a bit.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:19 am

slmkhoo wrote:
vinegar wrote:how did u come out the idea of using the "hill"?? r u teacher? very creative.

Can't remember. I know my kids' teacher in Pr school also used something like this, but it had 5 stages which I thought a bit unnecessary when they are just starting. No, I'm not a teacher and never wanted to be, but we have lived overseas a lot and I've had to homeschool a bit.

Is the hill balanced on each side? Or steeper on one side than the other? For example, quickly introduce the body but slowly release the tension/resolution?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vinegar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 am

i just chanced upon this from one of books:

1) spend 5min to brainstorm for ideas
2) Take 10min to write down the main points
3) Take 10min to draw a story mapping or outline

vinegar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 am

vinegar wrote:i just chanced upon this from one of books:

1) spend 5min to brainstorm for ideas
2) Take 10min to write down the main points
3) Take 10min to draw a story mapping or outline

And 25 minutes to write the whole compo? I am panicking now. I don't think my son can do it.... Sigh... Must :nunchuk: now
Last edited by ngl2010 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support