Prelims and PSLE

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Prelims and PSLE

Postby prancingpony » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi folks,

I was just reading some of the forums on P6 prelims and PSLE. A question. Are the prelim exam results really a kind of indication as to the kind of PSLE results one's child might achieve? My son seems to be doing quite well in Maths and Science but not satisfying at all in his languages. Now I am really starting to get worried! His compo is not that fantastic. Help??? :?:

prancingpony
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Prelims and PSLE

Postby atutor2001 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:19 am

prancingpony wrote:Hi folks,

I was just reading some of the forums on P6 prelims and PSLE. A question. Are the prelim exam results really a kind of indication as to the kind of PSLE results one's child might achieve? My son seems to be doing quite well in Maths and Science but not satisfying at all in his languages. Now I am really starting to get worried! His compo is not that fantastic. Help??? :?:

Most of the times, the PSLE English results turn out to be better.

For Science, it is the reverse. Most of the "application questions" will be "new" and the students have never done them before. They must not be afraid and learn to get the answer by elimination. As for section B, they must try to identify the "Topic" followed by the "keywords" needed.

As for Math, it depends on the way the questions are structured. In 2007, difficult questions were placed in front of the paper and students who don't know how to skip, wasted too much time and became panicky. I personally encountered a few cases of students who could get a B easily ending up with a C and crying at the end of the paper.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support