Exam papers from Top Ten Schools

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Exam papers from Top Ten Schools

Postby wiimum » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:22 pm

I would like to know if parents who bought these papers from the vendors (which I read in other posts), do you ensure your children complete the papers? If you manage, how did you do it? Did you child complain? Did the child do better with these exam papers practice? How much did you spend?

I have not bought these before and I wonder how much it costs?
I just dump one whole set of P3 Exam papers(about 3 reams of A4 paper) given to me by my sister(because she has an extra set) a couple of years ago for my son. He did only 2 papers. Last year my daugher was in P3. I didn't manage to get her to do much , at most 4 papers. My children are doing ok in school, definitely not the top but above average.
I have failed to make them work much on such papers so I always marvel : How did other parents do it? Just very curious.

wiimum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kuzco » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:10 am

I used to buy the exam papers of individual schools from a shop nearby. I don't buy the whole stack because I know the poor kid will surely not have enough time to complete it all. However, now I go to http://www.wendykoh.com and print whatever I need, so there is no wastage. Letting my son do these papers is just to let him have a feel of what the questions from other schools are like. It's not a must to do paper after paper. Even then, he sometimes protests. :oops:

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:43 am

I, too, used to purchase the exam papers. Prob only half to three quarter of the papers were attempted. Now, I go to the same website as kuzco and selectively choose a few papers before the exams. I think it is useful to attempt these papers to get a feel on what to exepct. Usually, exam questins are easier than those found on assesment books.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tired mom » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:08 pm

I still buy and use these papers for my P3 girl.

The english stack is virtually untouched usually, perhaps it's because she is quite proficient in the language.

For the rest of the papers, I only start her about 2 to 3 weeks before exam. For Chinese, I make her do all the sections except for comprehension as revision. As these sections are mostly MCQs, she can get through them quite fast and almost finish the whole stack.

For Maths, I will compile the more difficult problem sums for her, as part of revision. Before the actual exam, I will make her do two or three papers with strict timing, so she gets a feel of her speed and accuracy.

For Science, what I had wanted to do, but only succeed sometimes , is to classify the questions into different topics, so she practises them as a practical application as the school teaches.

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:06 pm

kuzco wrote:I used to buy the exam papers of individual schools from a shop nearby. I don't buy the whole stack because I know the poor kid will surely not have enough time to complete it all. However, now I go to http://www.wendykoh.com and print whatever I need, so there is no wastage. Letting my son do these papers is just to let him have a feel of what the questions from other schools are like. It's not a must to do paper after paper. Even then, he sometimes protests. :oops:

Just a quick OT question, why did MissKoh.com becomes WendyKoh.com? :? :wink:

Sometimes, I may still buy from oustide because the website usually provides top schools' papers and it could be demoralizing "failing" the papers during practices. Some of the average school papers I bought are from St Gabriel and Henderson. My son who is from a neighbourhood school gets the (cheap) thrill and encouragement doing them before moving to the relatively more challenging papers from the top schools (when he finds spare time).

PS. No offence to the average schools I mentioned if you dun consider yourself as average. That's only my personal opinion, pls dun flame me.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby buds » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Heyya heutistmeintag, i for one will not
flame you as i have the same thinking
as you too.. :wink:

Some of my friend's children and some
of my students aren't exactly what one
would term as top student calibre... so
whatever we give to such children shud
be in achievable range that they can
roughly manage on their own.

Practice purpose, yes.
To discourage, no lah..

Parents who are buying off the stands
or educators.. tutors.. etc should observe
the general standards of the children to
ensure it won't be too depressing for the
average kinda children.

One of my friends shared that her child
was made to do top schools' papers each
day in her after-sch-care and her child
kept failing it... going at sometimes a low
of 20 to 30 marks over 100. The child cried
each time she had to bring back the paper
to show to her parents. It made the child
so depressed she could become unmotivated
had the mom not be observant enough to see
to it that her child honestly couldn't measure
up to the standard. Mom talked to her child and
also the after-school care to work things out. The
child now can manage school work between 60 to
70 for her papers in a neighbourhood school.

Her mom finds the results are fine with her and
her child. Knowing her child is the really diligent
sort and never stops trying to do better, she feels
that her child's best is good enough for her. :D
Last edited by buds on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MdmKS » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:09 pm

With Wendykoh or Misskoh Website, you still need a printer and paper to print it out before you can let your child practics. I am in particularly looking for my child's primary school's past year papers but unable to find it in the two webistes, therefore am still 'forced' to buy from the roadside vendor. Not sure whether they have licence and if it is illegal to buy from them? Not sure when Miss Koh usually upload the latest top ten school test paper to her website, P 6 paper eapecially. Anybody know?

I usually keep the unused papers from #1 till they past due #3 before selling them to recycle station with the newspapers. :wink:

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kuzco » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:34 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:Just a quick OT question, why did MissKoh.com becomes WendyKoh.com? :? :wink:

I used to go to Misskoh.com also but read somewhere about wendykoh.com and found that they are actually the same website.

I usually don't tally up the marks because it would be too demoralising if the total marks are low. We simply learn from the mistakes made and hopefully, not repeat them again. :D

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Fluffy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:[PS. No offence to the average schools I mentioned if you dun consider yourself as average. That's only my personal opinion, pls dun flame me.

With regards to average and difficult papers from school, I recalled the other day my P5 daughter came to me and asked why is it so easy for her Chinese Group Tuition's boys to score closed to 100 for maths or easily score 85% for other subjects as well. What happen when the students used their P4-6's results to apply for DSA, do they have an advantage than her school's students whereby scoring average of 90% is not an easy feat.

From the past posts, I noticed that many secondary schools will look at the students' results before selection of applicants for 1st round of test, camp and interviews. Wonder what are the criteria (results) for main stream students especially all come from different primary schools in Singapore.

Fluffy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Zann » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Fluffy wrote:
heutistmeintag wrote:[PS. No offence to the average schools I mentioned if you dun consider yourself as average. That's only my personal opinion, pls dun flame me.

With regards to average and difficult papers from school, I recalled the other day my P5 daughter came to me and asked why is it so easy for her Chinese Group Tuition's boys to score closed to 100 for maths or easily score 85% for other subjects as well. What happen when the students used their P4-6's results to apply for DSA, do they have an advantage than her school's students whereby scoring average of 90% is not an easy feat.

From the past posts, I noticed that many secondary schools will look at the students' results before selection of applicants for 1st round of test, camp and interviews. Wonder what are the criteria (results) for main stream students especially all come from different primary schools in Singapore.

Last year when my child participated in DSA I had this question too. Their Chinese lanaguage papers tend to be quite difficult and most of the above average students in Chinese scored 55 + at P5 and 60 - 70 mark at P6. A few even failed at P5 and dropped HCL at P6. I told the school CL teacher that this would affect them when compared them with other schools during DSA. The reply from the CL teacher was that the sec school would judge them base on which primary school they came from. But I don't know how true it is. You know, supprisingly there were those who failed CL at P5 in school got an A* in PSLE. Sometime, I wonder what is the rational behind setting difficult paper. Whether it is their strategic play to make parents panic and send them for more tuitions, so that the school CL standard could maintain? Another answer I received was that for mainstream pupils to get shortlisted for DSA, they need to have some special talent anyway, else the chance is not high...

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support