All About Mistakes in Teachers' Questions and Answers

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

All About Mistakes in Teachers' Questions and Answers

Postby tankee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Original Title: Rant - Mistake

Just my rant :rant:

I am trying to teach my son to be careful with his schoolwork and always to check through for possible careless mistakes; but the school is not helping. :(

The homework that the teacher dished out would contain mistakes. :P For example, in the homework for this weekend:

1. Jane has 62 ice cream sticks to make a box. She has only 8 ice cream sticks. How many more ice cream sticks must she get?

2. Mrs Lee buys 83 swiss rolls. Mrs Tan buys 25 fewer swiss rolls than Mrs Lee. How many swiss rolls does Mrs Tan buys? Mrs Tan buys ______ pineapple tarts.

Shouldn't school be setting the right examples and ensure proper sentences without mistakes are used? Is this too much to ask for? :stupid:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby mathsparks » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Totally agree with you, tankee. Wonder which school's that..totally horrible english sentence...just because it's a Maths qn is no excuse.

Another rant is that those vendors selling top school papers provide horrendous answers especially to the non-MCQs part of Science and English. Hope parents don't follow the answers blindly.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FMz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:50 pm

today went for kiddo pre-enlistment assessment....

while kiddo is taking the assessment, parent are being brief by the teachers.

we are briefed by the ang mo HOD.... she made so many mistakes even while speaking.... from grammer to simple linking words....

i think my D7 english is better wor....

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Another one. Or is it a trick question?

3. Mrs Quek baked 57 apples pies in the morning. She baked 28 more apple pies in the afternoon. How many apples pies did she bake in the afternoon?

:?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby mathsparks » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:53 pm

FMz wrote:today went for kiddo pre-enlistment assessment....

while kiddo is taking the assessment, parent are being brief by the teachers.

we are briefed by the ang mo HOD.... she made so many mistakes even while speaking.... from grammer to simple linking words....

i think my D7 english is better wor....

Woa! pre-enlistment..I thought NS pre-enlistment! :P Is that what's called now?

Anyway, angmo HOD that can't speak properly..u guys should send a feedback to the school...esp if the hod is eng hod.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:55 pm

tankee wrote:Another one. Or is it a trick question?

3. Mrs Quek baked 57 apples pies in the morning. She baked 28 more apple pies in the afternoon. How many apples pies did she bake in the afternoon?

Other than the appleS pies in the morning, I din see any mistakes.

I've another rant: some so-called tutors on the forum write horribly. Perhaps they're just maths tutors and don't teach english. They don't bother with grammar or punctuation...maybe because it's a casual forum....But any potential parents will be put off by such lousy grammar. No??

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FMz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:24 pm

mathsparks wrote:

I've another rant: some so-called tutors on the forum write horribly. Perhaps they're just maths tutors and don't teach english. They don't bother with grammar or punctuation...maybe because it's a casual forum....But any potential parents will be put off by such lousy grammar. No??

yeah, i saw the "s" too..... but i think tats more of a common sense problem rather than maths wor.....

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby FMz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:25 pm

mathsparks wrote:Woa! pre-enlistment..I thought NS pre-enlistment! :P Is that what's called now?

my england not good mah.... assessment like no ink... so I add pre-enlistment to spice up the thingy

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mathsparks » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:27 pm

FMz wrote:
mathsparks wrote:Woa! pre-enlistment..I thought NS pre-enlistment! :P Is that what's called now?

my england not good mah.... assessment like no ink... so I add pre-enlistment to spice up the thingy

Yo Fmz,
I not teasing you, k? I don't have kid going to P1 so I thot perhaps they've started to use that word. Can tell which school got horrible hod?

:D

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:43 pm

mathsparks wrote:

so answer is 28 or 57+28?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support