PSLE 2009 RESULTS!!

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules
Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

ARE YOUR CHILDREN'S RESULTS FOR PSLE GOING TO BE FANTASTIC?

OF COURSE! 4 A*s!
27%
HE'LL SURELY GET A*s for 3 of his subjects!
13%
HE'LL GET AN A* for 2 of his subjects for sure!
12%
AT LEAST I'M SURE HE'LL GET 1 A*!
14%
I THINK HIGH "A"s.
5%
Uh... Medium "A"s?
5%
Low "A"s
3%
I don't want to talk about it...
21%

Total votes: 128

Aya
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Aya » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Just asking:

Does all 4 subjects, English, Maths, Science and Chinese contribute to PSLE score equally?

Or does English and Chinese play a more important part, while Maths and Science not so?

Last time I asked my dad and he said LANGUAGES are important in PSLE score, but just a few days back, my school mate told me all subjects play an equal part in the total PSLE score.

If my school mate is correct, I guess I'm done for..........

My Maths and Science will ruin my PSLE score for sure.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atutor2001 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Aya wrote:Just asking:

Does all 4 subjects, English, Maths, Science and Chinese contribute to PSLE score equally?

Or does English and Chinese play a more important part, while Maths and Science not so?

Last time I asked my dad and he said LANGUAGES are important in PSLE score, but just a few days back, my school mate told me all subjects play an equal part in the total PSLE score.

Hi Aya

You have raised a valid question. Many years back when my kid was taking PSLE, I did call MOE to find out. Unfortunately, I did not get a definitive answer from the person at the other end of the helpline. He only hinted that there will be some form of "weightage". No other details beyond that. Till today I am still wandering. Anybody with more info who can help?

Regards.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kohjl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:27 pm

atutor2001 wrote:

Hi Aya

You have raised a valid question. Many years back when my kid was taking PSLE, I did call MOE to find out. Unfortunately, I did not get a definitive answer from the person at the other end of the helpline. He only hinted that there will be some form of "weightage". No other details beyond that. Till today I am still wandering. Anybody with more info who can help?

Regards.
Hi Aya and atutor2001,

Do check this out:

http://road-to-psle.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... s-are.html

It tells you how PSLE scores and T-scores are calculated. And yes, from the looks of all the worked examples in the above link, all subjects work out to have equal weightage....(Please correct me if I am wrong.)

There have been discussions on this matter in other threads of this forum too. For info.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by kohjl » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:41 pm

kohjl wrote:
Hi Aya and atutor2001,

Do check this out:

http://road-to-psle.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... s-are.html

It tells you how PSLE scores and T-scores are calculated. And yes, from the looks of all the worked examples in the above link, all subjects work out to have equal weightage....(Please correct me if I am wrong.)

There have been discussions on this matter in other threads of this forum too. For info.
Further to this, is Part 2 of the blog (by Excel Eduservice), which in fact talks specifically about the question that Aya had asked. See this link:

http://road-to-psle.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... cores.html

As the blog by Excel Eduservice had stated,
"One concern parents and students have is that there may be bias towards language subjects because the total score is 200, while the total for Maths and Science is 100.

In this post, we will see that there is no bias towards any particular subject, although the total scores for languages is twice that of Maths and Science."

In short, ALL subjects have equal importance in PSLE.

Hope that helps. :D
Last edited by kohjl on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:85

Post by Augmum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:52 pm

hello Aya

btw, are u a P6 pupil ?
if yes, yr form teacher shd have tell u that all subjects have the same weightage. even if yr teacher did not tell u, i suppose the school holds P6 info nighttalk whereby the parents are given all the necessary and essential info.
in fact, my gal's sch had held the talk twice, one in P5 and another in P6.

lovingmum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Nov 26 PSLE release day

Post by lovingmum » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:38 am

//Moderator's note: Topics merged.

Hi,

what happens on this day? do we report to school at 12 pm with together with the kids to collect result? will the school call the students up to inform them if they are the top students of the school?

thanks

SoWoW
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by SoWoW » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:16 am

24 days to go...................

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atutor2001 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 am

Hi Kohjl

Thank you for the clarification.

Regards

Dharma
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Nov 26 PSLE release day

Post by Dharma » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 am

lovingmum wrote://Moderator's note: Topics merged.

Hi,

what happens on this day? do we report to school at 12 pm with together with the kids to collect result? will the school call the students up to inform them if they are the top students of the school?

thanks
Hi lovingmum,

On the results day, the kids with their parents have to report to school before 12pm. At 12pm, all assemble at the hall with the kids made to sit down according to their respective classes. Principal will make announcement on the overall performance of the school and also the top student. For dd’s school, the names of the top 10 pupils of the school were flashed on the screen among the other statistics. Then all proceed to individual classrooms to collect results slip from Form Teacher.

Not sure about top student in school but if your child is one of the top students in Singapore or even one of the top students based on races (Malay, Indian & Eurasian), the school will call you in the morning to ask your child to come earlier for briefing by the Principal as there maybe interview sessions by the press or Channel News Asia/Mediacorp.
Last edited by Dharma on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by turquoise » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:01 am

Hi Dharma, so if we see the press at school we'll know we've got a top scorer that year. :)