MOE pls approve some decent textbooks for primary school

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

MOE pls approve some decent textbooks for primary school

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:22 am

The background of this post.

I replied to another parent, sorry I forget who, that I will start a discussion thread on primary school textbks if I cannot find an existing thread abt it. I tried to search but so many threads, so I gave up after going thru a few. If the mods or some members know of existing thread pls merge or let me know and I will ask the mods to merge.

This thread is not to duplicate the various discussions on assessment bks.

Eventually I will write in to MOE bah.

I know MOE is into teach less and learn more but hor I think still need decent textbks leh. I also know kids need to read outside of textbks becos that's what learning is all about, exposed to the literature of other subjects BUT still need decent textbks leh.

Let me try to be organised here. I'm usually not one.

Eng

I'm ok with STELLAR, teachers using storybooks to teach Eng. It's done in other ctries too with many interesting worksheets. Not saying local worksheets not interesting hor. I think as a result of STELLAR, my dd1 super like reading now. BUT, this is what I find after going thru her P1 and P2 worksheets, there are times I do not fully understand what the trs is trying to teach dd1. I'm not sure how to revise with her. I will rec letters about the holistic assessment and the assessment dates. The files will be returned to dd1 too when the assessment dates are nearing. Sometimes, I don't know how to start becos I'm not sure exactly what part of Eng is to be tested by looking at the worksheets. So I muddled thru with dd1 on the revision.

We speak Mandarin at home. I'm not very good with it but we speak it so that the Lang neurons are not just exposed to Eng. I find that dd1 need more explicit teaching of grammar rules. Going thru the worksheets, I think the learning of grammar rules is more towards implicit rather than explicit. I could be wrong.

Here lies one big problem for me. I don't know how to explain most of the grammar rules. For Eng, I'm more intuitive learner. I don't know the rules explicitly but I kind of know what is ok and what is not most of the time.

So I think it will be so helpful if there's a textbk for Eng on the fundamental
stuff. Like how to explain nouns, verbs, uncountable nouns etc to a P1 kid. So that I can at least fill in the gaps when she didn't grasp it in class. I need to write that her teachers do teach. She does not have Eng tuition so I can see how she has improved under her teachers' guidance. But becos of our background there will be gaps that the trs might not be able to fill in a class of 30.

I need to stop here. Will con't with Chi, maths and science later.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: MOE pls approve some decent textbooks for primary school

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Chi

At P2, I'm ok with the Chi text in general. I like it that it has core and sheng guang sections. The language used in the text is not too simplistic. I find that it is very difficult to read chi storybooks if the chi chars bank is not big enough. It is very difficult to write storybooks for P1 kids if can only use the common char that p1 needs to know. Unlike Eng whereby if the child does not recognise the word, they can agar use the phonics to help them if they know phonics. But for chi, not much room to guess, though some words can. So I like it that the chi char for P2 is not too simplistic. The suggestion that I hope MOE will consider is to include chengyu and other chi similie, not sure if there's a proper name for it and those long long chi phrases to describe things that need many words to explain. Sorry I forgot what are those called. This is why I haven't written to MOE yet LOL. I will need to research more which now I can't do LOL. Maybe in upper primary those are included, I have not flipped the upper primary texts yet.

Maths
At P2, there are qns on simple heuristics but I don't see enough of such examples in the maths text. There are higher order thinking qns but could have a few more? Heehee. So that parents can get a better idea of what are HOT qns. I'm confused sometimes as to is it HOT or IQ qns

Science
I leave what I believe is the worst textbks for last. dd1 is in P2 but I have flipped thru the P3 textbks. I cannot understand how those magazine like publication can be considered textbks? The way that MOE wanted the textbk to be presented is a disservice to the authors' knowledge.

dd1's school will be using iscience. Now for iscience series, there are enrichment texts and texts for parents to use to guide their kids. I have flipped thru those 2 texts and my suggestion is like chi text whereby the existing text can be the bridging chapter, combine the enrichment text under core chapters and modify the texts for the parents under sheng guang chap.

Pls also include references in the text.

I know for science as part of learning tr will teach some content not listed in textbk. But I very realistic de, dd1 hor note taking is very bad and spelling even worst. So if she catch no ball when tr talk or misunderstand tr words at least with decent text she can re-read and chk meaning.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:40 am

On the science at least, my P3 kid's textbooks (iscience) are still placed in the store....he doesn't even have to bring it to class. So far it's still in pristine condition. Most of the time, when he is unsure of his answers, we will whip out whatever extra guide we have or google. i do agree at wondering what is the point of buying those books. But his worksheets.....wow, I took O level pure bio and chem, but still can be floored by P3 worksheet to the extent of scrambling to google.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:43 am

One tiny addition to Sahm_Tan's posting...besides decent textbooks, can schools be mandated to only ask the parents to buy whatever is necessary and to be used? Sometimes there are books that we had to buy, and then end up the kids don't use. It's a freaking waste of money that many parents can do without.

Without that nice bookshop auntie to tell us to ignore the optional, we could have ended up with loads more stuff that are left unused. I recall a friend having to get every thing that was listed - optional included becos she wasn't sure.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:
stuff. Like how to explain nouns, verbs, uncountable nouns etc to a P1 kid. So that I can at least fill in the gaps when she didn't grasp it in class.

I think some schools include grammar guide in book list.
The title is at school discretion, so no standardized grammar book from school to school

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 am

sleepy wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:
stuff. Like how to explain nouns, verbs, uncountable nouns etc to a P1 kid. So that I can at least fill in the gaps when she didn't grasp it in class.

I think some schools include grammar guide in book list.
The title is at school discretion, so no standardized grammar book from school to school

Yup, some schools do have it in their book list.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am

hquek wrote:On the science at least, my P3 kid's textbooks (iscience) are still placed in the store....he doesn't even have to bring it to class. So far it's still in pristine condition. Most of the time, when he is unsure of his answers, we will whip out whatever extra guide we have or google. i do agree at wondering what is the point of buying those books. But his worksheets.....wow, I took O level pure bio and chem, but still can be floored by P3 worksheet to the extent of scrambling to google.

If the textbks are not used, do you know what materials the tr use to teach science ? Are there science notes?

Maybe the kids suppose to read the textbk before attending the class?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:40 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:If the textbks are not used, do you know what materials the tr use to teach science ? Are there science notes?

Ha...I have to go back and consult the one who attended...seems like teacher will just present to them and somehow this is ingested. I hear about stuff he learnt from teachers, but see very little in actual notes. seems like most of what he is doing was covered somehow in class (probably presented) and seems like it's all based on what he remembers.

I understand that teachers are stretched and I'm NOT calling out for teacher prepped notes. Probably for a 'living' topic like science, there is no need for learning directly from books.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:55 am

hquek wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:If the textbks are not used, do you know what materials the tr use to teach science ? Are there science notes?

Ha...I have to go back and consult the one who attended...seems like teacher will just present to them and somehow this is ingested. I hear about stuff he learnt from teachers, but see very little in actual notes. seems like most of what he is doing was covered somehow in class (probably presented) and seems like it's all based on what he remembers.

I understand that teachers are stretched and I'm NOT calling out for teacher prepped notes. Probably for a 'living' topic like science, there is no need for learning directly from books.

I started to imagine some contraption that tr use to transmit infor into kids' brain LOL

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 am

Oh yes, forgot to include. Just like maths whereby there are some HOT qn at the back of each chap, science should include some HOT qns in the text too. The iscience series have HOT qns bk, so should not be difficult to incorporate into the main textbk

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support