Returning S'porean kids from China

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Returning S'porean kids from China

Postby Poonie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:54 am

Hi,

Do you know of Singaporean friends whose kids studied in China local schools before returning to Singapore? Heard all the subjects are conducted in Chinese? With our kids' lower Chinese standard did they have to downgrade a couple of levels? How long did it take before they could cope with Maths and Science which are also taught in Chinese? When they eventually returned to Singapore could they catch up with the local system?

Hope parents here who have first-hand experience or knowledge can provide me with some info please. Thanks.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Poonie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Let me try again please. Would appreciate some info. Thanks.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby amylqf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:53 pm

I am not sure about singapore kids back from China.

My Taiwan friend's daughter and son did downgrade 2 years because of language issue. hope it helps.

amylqf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Returning S'porean kids from China

Postby waterfall » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Poonie wrote:Hi,

Do you know of Singaporean friends whose kids studied in China local schools before returning to Singapore? Heard all the subjects are conducted in Chinese? With our kids' lower Chinese standard did they have to downgrade a couple of levels? How long did it take before they could cope with Maths and Science which are also taught in Chinese? When they eventually returned to Singapore could they catch up with the local system?

Hope parents here who have first-hand experience or knowledge can provide me with some info please. Thanks.

He won't catch up english at all even if he had english enrichment outside. the standard is different.

If he/she pass the lauguage barrier, the math will be beyond singapore standard.

have no idea abt science.

hope it helps.

waterfall
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mommyNg » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:06 am

I think it really depends how old the kids are when they arrive in China, how long they stay there before coming back to Singapore. My dh's colleague and family of 3 went there for a couple of years. The eldest was in P1/P2 then, and coping at the local chinese school was ok. But now that she is almost 11, I think the parents expressed concern whether the child could cope with the English, Maths and Science (in English) if they were to send the kid back. Her Chinese is superb, but other subjects, especially Maths & Science in English are difficult to catch up. So even they have a space for the eldest dd in a very good Singapore primary school, it looks like they are not planning to send her back. Instead, they just switched her to a local Chinese school with an international division, leading to a possible IB (international Baccalaureate) option.

mommyNg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby schellen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:03 am

Poonie, my experience is with sec sch students.

The PRC students I met before were slightly older than their classmates. They had to "downgrade" as their English was not up to par at the beginning. They had difficulty in Science and Maths not because they are weak in those subjects but because they were hindered by their weak English. Once the questions were translated for them, they had no problem solving them.

They also had problems in Combined Humanities. For this 2-in-1 subject, even Singaporean students who are weak in English will have difficulty, so can you imagine the increased level of difficulty for a PRC student?

However, some of these students worked very hard and actively used English so they could not only pass English at 'O' Level, a few of them even managed to beat their Singaporean classmates. Those who couldn't be bothered to improve their language skills failed terribly and the scores for their English-based subjects suffered as well.

These PRC students were in a neighbourhood school which did not offer HMT so during MT lessons, they were free to do other work/revise English. They still sat for the HMT paper at 'O' Level but they had to study on their own for it (which was no problem in their case).

Ultimately, whether the students can cope when they come/return to Singapore depends on their proficiency of English at the point of entry/return, the resources available to them and to a large extent, their attitude towards English and schoolwork.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Just to share, I currently have a student who is local, but spent all his life in China due to his parents' work nature.

He's 10 this year, supposed to be in P5 next year. Pending an entrance exam into our local school in early Nov.

What his parents did back in China:
- engaged private tutors to tutor him in English since he was 3yo (native speakers)
- got relatives to send SG textbooks/workbooks/assessment books to them & they'll go through with him, seeking help via webcam with SG teachers/tutors when they have problems

Now he's back in SG to prepare for the entrance tests.
I've given him school exam papers & he can get average of 70 for English, Maths & Science. He's still weak at story sums (problem sums) and comprehension. For Science, he knows the answers but does not express it correctly in writing.
His 'problems' are small & managable. He can definitely do much better with guidance on the local system.

He studied in non-private school back in China. His chinese standard is really high! His spoken English has an accent but his written English is generally alright.

What's important is how parents coach & teach at home to ensure that the child has knowledge of what is being taught in SG also.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Poonie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Thank you all for your feedback.

Seems like I might have to seriously think very hard before deciding to relocate with my kids. Downgrading by 1-2 levels upon return to Singapore after a few years does seem like a real possibility. Coupled with that I've also heard that they might be downgraded when they join a local school there as their Chinese standard will not be good enough to handle Maths and Science let alone yu wen as a subject . So all in they will be behind their peers by 3-5 years in future.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby usaik » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:33 am

I know of a friend from China who is planning to relocate his kid from China.

In view of the difference in the education system, his strategy is to downgrade his kid by 1-2 level like many of his friends who relocate their kids from China to SG. By downgrading his kid by 1-2 levels, the kid would be able to cope better even though he might be able to make it at the same level in term of English. As for the other areas, this kid would actually be much more stronger than the local kids.

This strategy was recommended to him by one of his friend whose kid because of this strategy, had done very well in the Singapore Education system. The child eventually got a scholarship from Singapore to do his undergrad study in a renowed US Uni.

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JHFMum » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Poonie wrote:Thank you all for your feedback.

Seems like I might have to seriously think very hard before deciding to relocate with my kids. Downgrading by 1-2 levels upon return to Singapore after a few years does seem like a real possibility. Coupled with that I've also heard that they might be downgraded when they join a local school there as their Chinese standard will not be good enough to handle Maths and Science let alone yu wen as a subject . So all in they will be behind their peers by 3-5 years in future.

It really depends on the type of schs you send the kids to. I've known of friends who have been relocated there and have now returned. Their kids are doing fine in our S'pore schs- inclusive of IP and good autonmous sch. In fact instead of downgrading, the children upon their return are a yr younger than their classmates. A few things they do that you may want to consider:
- If financially possible, send them to international schools or private schs with English. In some state, we have our own S'pore schs there.
- Do not withdraw them from their current school. Instead apply for Leave of Absence. You can also request that sch sends you the worksheets, tests and exams- of course you need to pay fees.
- Alternatively, buy our S'pore textbooks and assessments books so that they remain in touch with our system, esp English.
- During vacation, let the kids return to singapore and join the school for lessons. Our terms are different from China schs. This will also let your kids touch base with their friends.

With some careful planning, you need not worry too much. China stds are pretty high too, esp Chinese, Maths and science. You only need to worry about English.

JHFMum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support