How to improve 短文填空?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

How to improve 短文填空?

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi. DS came back from school this afternoon and told me that he lost 12 marks for 短文填空 for his Chinese Prelim. That means he answered all 短文填空 questions wrongly :stupid:

Do you have any tips to improve 短文填空?

Thank you.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to improve 短文填空?

Postby lnjason888 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:45 pm

短文填空考查的是辩词能力,主要是看对于词汇的掌握。
如果词汇没有一定的积累,做起来比较困难。
不过临近会考,在短时间内冲刺短文填空还是有技巧的。
我总结出来四个字“看前看后”,短文填空都会给很多clue, 要善于发现,很多时候从搭配入手,比如:
。。。。。(认真 努力 刻苦 勤奋)地挑选果子,学生只要看后面,不需要管前面,看看哪个词语和“挑选”搭配较合适,经过“排除法”,努力读书、刻苦学习、勤奋读书,只有“认真”可以和“挑选”使用。

又如:
国华( 劝请 邀请 请求 请问)老师让他再做一次选择。
学生应该能想到要求别人做什么是,所以应该跟“要求”的“求”有关,所以里面只有“请求”有“求”,应该是答案。

俗话说“临阵磨枪,不快发亮。”考试前只要抓住考试技巧,还是有机会克服难题。
加油!

lnjason888
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:52 pm

谢谢,老师。

:thankyou:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:47 am

I teach ah boy to determine what is missing in the sentence, a pronoun, a verb, a adjective etc.

Coupled with practices, he did better this round.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Jennifer wrote:I teach ah boy to determine what is missing in the sentence, a pronoun, a verb, a adjective etc.

Coupled with practices, he did better this round.

Thank you, Jen. For the past few days DS has been doing worksheets on 短文填空 and still not improving :faint: I will try your method now.

:thankyou:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 am

Are all 短文填空 words can be found in school's textbook?

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:19 am

Expose the child to stories read aloud to him and allow him opportunities to listen to the news on tv. If the child has not built up a firm foundation in the language, it goes to show that the child is merely doing tons of practice papers without understanding the content and meaning hidden in those words. Buy the morning newspapers and expose your child to reading those articles. The child should read at least one news article a day.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:26 am

sembgal wrote:Expose the child to stories read aloud to him and allow him opportunities to listen to the news on tv. If the child has not built up a firm foundation in the language, it goes to show that the child is merely doing tons of practice papers without understanding the content and meaning hidden in those words. Buy the morning newspapers and expose your child to reading those articles. The child should read at least one news article a day.

He had been watching Chinese news since a few months ago and we can see the improvement in listening comprehension. However, 短文填空 is still weak. We started asking him to read Chinese newspaper last week but I think the improvement won't be immediate :sweat:

It is possible that his foundation is weak because we don't even speak a single word of Chinese in a day. PSLE is a month away and we are panicking over 短文填空 :imdrowning:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowcloud » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:47 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
sembgal wrote:Expose the child to stories read aloud to him and allow him opportunities to listen to the news on tv. If the child has not built up a firm foundation in the language, it goes to show that the child is merely doing tons of practice papers without understanding the content and meaning hidden in those words. Buy the morning newspapers and expose your child to reading those articles. The child should read at least one news article a day.

He had been watching Chinese news since a few months ago and we can see the improvement in listening comprehension. However, 短文填空 is still weak. We started asking him to read Chinese newspaper last week but I think the improvement won't be immediate :sweat:

It is possible that his foundation is weak because we don't even speak a single word of Chinese in a day. PSLE is a month away and we are panicking over 短文填空 :imdrowning:

hi there,

I would suggest you focus firstly on 词语搭配. it helps alot if you know the 词语搭配but your child might not have learnt enough to see it as effective method. Hence if you still have the 词语手册from pri 4 to pri 6, get your child to zoom into the 词语搭配 listed in the books. Secondly train your child to use word association to connect with the subject mentioned in the passage. for eg, 决定, he can associate it with "right", "wrong", "difficult" or "easy". It makes it easier for him to think cos he will have a sense of direction. Thirdly, as mentioned by one of the parent here(jennifer), determine the nature of the answer. that is, if it is a noun, verb, adjective or a connector. Again once you have determined the anaswer to be a noun, can use elimination method (排除法)to eliminate words of verb and adjective nature.

Hope the above helps.

snowcloud
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:24 am

snowcloud wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:

hi there,

I would suggest you focus firstly on 词语搭配. it helps alot if you know the 词语搭配but your child might not have learnt enough to see it as effective method. Hence if you still have the 词语手册from pri 4 to pri 6, get your child to zoom into the 词语搭配 listed in the books. Secondly train your child to use word association to connect with the subject mentioned in the passage. for eg, 决定, he can associate it with "right", "wrong", "difficult" or "easy". It makes it easier for him to think cos he will have a sense of direction. Thirdly, as mentioned by one of the parent here(jennifer), determine the nature of the answer. that is, if it is a noun, verb, adjective or a connector. Again once you have determined the anaswer to be a noun, can use elimination method (排除法)to eliminate words of verb and adjective nature.

Hope the above helps.

Thank you for the advice. We really appreciate it. We didn't have 词语手册 for P4 and P5 so we bought them today. Although DS has P6 词语手册, he didn't use it :slapshead: We'll start to study the 词语搭配 this weekend.

I don't really understand the second point but I will ask DS to read this post tomorrow. I understand the third point. Thank you.

Once again, :thankyou: for the advice.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support