Young Author Scheme

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Young Author Scheme

Postby Lynn2 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:39 am

Hello ks memebers

Anyone has experience with the above , as in sending children to the above course conducted by catherine Lim ?

Any feedbacks?

Thank you.

Best regards
Lynn2

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Young Author Scheme

Postby kohjl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Lynn2 wrote:Hello ks memebers

Anyone has experience with the above , as in sending children to the above course conducted by catherine Lim ?

Any feedbacks?

Thank you.

Best regards
Lynn2

Hi Lynn2

The Young Authors' Scheme is by Catherine Khoo, not Catherine Lim the writer.

I sent my sons there a few years ago. My son (PlasmaStorm in this forum), who is in P6 now, wrote a Science Fiction story of about 3,000 words which has been e-published.

The process was rigorous and the end result gave him a great sense of achievement. It has helped him to be more creative, and to string his sentences together into paragraphs, and finally into one long story.

But I must warn you that at times, the going is tough, when your child wld rather go and play rather than sit down and write the story! Then it takes a lot of encouragement and cajoling from the parents. If he is not into the fictional type of writing, then he may also find it a chore rather than something enjoyable (like my Sec 4 boy).

But overall, it was good course, and Catherine Khoo is a good trainer with the interest of the kids at heart.

Hope that helps.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby acforfamily » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:14 pm

This sounds interesting.
Is this an ongoing course or is it just for a few lessons.
Can someone share?

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kohjl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:23 pm

acforfamily wrote:This sounds interesting.
Can someone share?

Here's the website:
http://www.catherinekhoo.sg/YAS.html

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kohjl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 pm

kohjl wrote:
Can someone share?

Here's the website:

BTW, I remember it as quite a number of days stretching over the June or Dec holiday period. During this time, your child attends lessons, and writes at the same time.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Lynn2 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi kohji

Thanks for sharing.

Can I just also ask will it indirectly help in their composition writing in school too?

How will this course benefit for someone who can write?

Regards
Lynn2

kohjl wrote:
kohjl wrote:
Can someone share?

Here's the website:

BTW, I remember it as quite a number of days stretching over the June or Dec holiday period. During this time, your child attends lessons, and writes at the same time.

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kohjl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Lynn2 wrote:Hi kohji

Can I just also ask will it indirectly help in their composition writing in school too?

Well, it increased my son's interest in composition writing, and it helped to make him more structured, so yes, it did indirectly help in composition writing.

HOWEVER, please do not be mistaken that this is a course tailored to improve the child's school composition-writing. If it is solely composition writing you want, there are always courses tailored for this, where they go thru model compos, vocab etc.

Also, a P6 compo is very short. Within that short compo of say 150-200 words, the whole story must be quickly developed and a good conclusion written. The skills for doing that are somewhat different from the skills of writing a 3000-word story!

I enrolled my sons for the course because it was the holiday period, and I wanted something interesting for them to do which also indirectly helped them in sch compos. More than that, I wanted them to look at their end product and feel accomplished that they had done what they didn't think they could do!

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Lynn2 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks Kohji .

My girl used to write very lengthy compo in school and I stopped her as she tends to be too descriptive and lost the focus as she forgot that its a compo and not writing a story book.

Am quite sure that she will enjoy the session with catherine.I just hope after the lessons, she got used to writing story in lengthy way and cannot adjust to short compo.Will such thing happen?thanks

kohjl wrote:
Lynn2 wrote:Hi kohji

Well, it increased my son's interest in composition writing, and it helped to make him more structured, so yes, it did indirectly help in composition writing.

HOWEVER, please do not be mistaken that this is a course tailored to improve the child's school composition-writing. If it is solely composition writing you want, there are always courses tailored for this, where they go thru model compos, vocab etc.

Also, a P6 compo is very short. Within that short compo of say 150-200 words, the whole story must be quickly developed and a good conclusion written. The skills for doing that are somewhat different from the skills of writing a 3000-word story!

I enrolled my sons for the course because it was the holiday period, and I wanted something interesting for them to do which also indirectly helped them in sch compos. More than that, I wanted them to look at their end product and feel accomplished that they had done what they didn't think they could do!

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kohjl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Lynn2 wrote:Thanks Kohji .

I just hope after the lessons, she got used to writing story in lengthy way and cannot adjust to short compo.Will such thing happen?thanks

I honestly wouldn't know; you know yr daughter better! Suggest you talk to Catherine herself. I am sure there is a contact number at the website. Or email her. She's a pleasant lady and very helpful. All the best.

kohjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby acforfamily » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:44 pm

kohjl wrote:
Can someone share?

Here's the website:

Thanks!

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support