Kid finds p2 maths easy

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Kid finds p2 maths easy

Postby DUDU » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi my kid feels bored in maths lesson at school. Will any parents encounter this? Will you let your kids learn p 3 or higher level maths subjects like algebra to accelerate the learning? Or just follow school syllabus?

DUDU
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Kid finds p2 maths easy

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:26 pm

My younger girl was like this. We refused to accelerate her using school books because we knew she would be even more bored later on. Instead, I looked for worksheets and puzzles online which were more 'fun' such as story problems, brainteasers etc for her to do at home. This builds up math thinking skills without doing the school Maths in advance. You can probably find some books in the library or at bookshops too. We told her to just keep quiet and pay attention in class anyway (good discipline) but we didn't do any school Maths at home except just before exams. She also did a lot of reading.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DUDU » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi slmkhoo, thanks for your reply. Its true that my kid will get bored if i teach more on maths. I will do the same and let him read more books or improve his English/chinese.

DUDU
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby TheAnswer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:18 pm

slmkhoo wrote:My younger girl was like this. We refused to accelerate her using school books because we knew she would be even more bored later on. Instead, I looked for worksheets and puzzles online which were more 'fun' such as story problems, brainteasers etc for her to do at home. This builds up math thinking skills without doing the school Maths in advance. You can probably find some books in the library or at bookshops too. We told her to just keep quiet and pay attention in class anyway (good discipline) but we didn't do any school Maths at home except just before exams. She also did a lot of reading.

My boy is also bored with P2 Maths. I try to create/find challenging Maths problems sums suitable for him to attempt, creative word puzzles or give him small and interesting projects to do. He also does a lot of reading on his own.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby graciousbear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:39 pm

can try doing higher level math if the things in school are too easy. some centres may also allow higher level if the kid can cope

graciousbear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mariosister » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:49 pm

This is what happened to me when i teach my child alphabets and basics when he attended Nursery and k1 his teachers told me my child was not paying attention and when they question him he was able to answer. Which disturbs other kids. So i reduced my teaching and he adapts himself to now play with building blocks and colouring at home and just do the school work. Other wise engage the kid into some soft skills like speech and drama or musical instruments.
Atleast they get some other skills.

mariosister
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mariosister » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:50 pm

This is what happened to me when i teach my child alphabets and basics when he attended Nursery and k1 his teachers told me my child was not paying attention and when they question him he was able to answer. Which disturbs other kids. So i reduced my teaching and he adapts himself to now play with building blocks and colouring at home and just do the school work. Other wise engage the kid into some soft skills like speech and drama or musical instruments.
Atleast they get some other skills.

mariosister
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support