SA2 2009

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

SA2 2009

Postby Lynn2 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Hello everyone

One week holidays is coming to an end,how is preparation for the exam?

I know some school will start exam straightaway on the first day of school?How are you parents and kids coping so far?

I dont like the break,cos its very draggy and stressful...

rgds
Lynn2

Lynn2
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lego » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Dd did some test papers and revision during the one week. Not really stressful since she's only in P1.

lego
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: SA2 2009 Preparation

Postby jedamum » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:48 pm

my boy also did minimum revision; actually his workload is similar to his usual school week.
i like the break cos we have more time to go 'shopping' and lunchout; just the two of us :)). we even got the boys scooters to play to 'kill' time. :wink:
the pros of being in P1 ba.... 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Suz855 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Enjoy the break so far, the gals get to do revisions and am happy with their progress :oops:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:45 am

About 2-3 weeks ago, DD already started revising with my MIL on weekends. Instead of the usual "reading from a Chinese storybook" routine for my Chinese "tuition" with her on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, I have been supervising her in doing a set of Chinese revision papers I got from Popular. They are rather difficult for her but I sat there with her all the way and we used the Besta e-dict a lot. Therefore, when it was time for her to do a paper of her school's standard, she had few problems.

As for the past week, DD has been a very busy young lady:
1. Spent last weekend (including Monday) with PILs. Coached by MIL.
2. I was on leave on Tuesday so I coached her in Chinese and she did 2 papers, one difficult and one more of her school's standard. Then, she helped me sort out the baby clothes before accompanying me on my gynae check-up. :wink:
3. On Wednesday, she went to BASC at her old CCC and played and rehearsed for their annual concert.
4. Thursday and Friday mornings were spent at BASC rehearsing. The BASC children are performing one item for their annual concert and she is also one of the emcees. sashimi was on leave so she was picked up after lunch. What I understood from sashimi was that the rest of the day (for these 2 days) were spent spring-cleaning (sashimi recently bought a new shelving unit) and revising.
5. On Friday night, she went off with my PILs again to play, be coached and also for her usual piano and ballet lessons.

So other than helping us with chores, revising, rehearsing and practising for her enrichment classes, she also had time to just be a kid; watch TV, play, read, draw, etc. The only thing she wasn't allowed to do was to play PC games but I think she didn't even mind since she didn't bring it up again after we reminded her that her exams continue next week.

Next weekend, she's going to play, play, play to her heart's content. We're going to bring her out and my dad has indicated that he wants to bring her to West Coast Park after her exams are over.

I wonder how it'll be like when she reaches P4 and P6. (She's only P1 now.) :sweat:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby moonee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:21 pm

I wonder how it'll be like when she reaches P4 and P6. (She's only P1 now.) :sweat:

results normally take a dip in p3, thats when i started more enrichment classes for my grl, could then identify her weak areas 8)

moonee
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vlim » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:32 pm

It is a good one week break for me as my son finished his p4 gep just before the break and so I can concentrate my time for my p1 girl revising work with her during the 1 week holiday. :celebrate:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:50 am

moonee wrote:

results normally take a dip in p3, thats when i started more enrichment classes for my grl, could then identify her weak areas 8)

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. We're only prepared to send her for Chinese tuition should the need arise cos we can tutor/coach her in everything else....in pri sch, that is. When it comes to sec sch, well, we'll see how much our old grey matter can recall by then. :wink:

If the dip is negligible and we know that she can "bounce back" after the initial dip, it'll be okay. The only thing we need to focus on then is helping her nurse her wounded pride and convincing her to lower the standards she puts on herself momentarily. :(

P.S. For this week, we've actually stopped the revision work since this is the actual SA2 week. No point cramming stuff into her anymore. Just need to remind her to check her work and be more careful.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ApronMama » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:59 am

vlim wrote:It is a good one week break for me as my son finished his p4 gep just before the break and so I can concentrate my time for my p1 girl revising work with her during the 1 week holiday. :celebrate:

Still remember when my DS1 was in P1 and 2, frankily no revision was done with us parents. We sent him to a after school care and he justed follow-up with the assessment work there. Eveything was perfectly Ok.

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jesschan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:02 am

moonee wrote:results normally take a dip in p3, thats when i started more enrichment classes for my grl, could then identify her weak areas 8)

My boy is in P3 this year. I think what happens is that in P1 & 2, the kids basically do tppics that were taught in most pre-schools. So if the kids have a solid pre-school foundation, they will breeze through P1 & 2. In P3, teachers will start to introduce harder topics like Science, more difficult comprehension passages and composition etc... so the so-called "headstart" gained in pre-schools will be less.

My boy hardly study for his tests and exams in P1 & 2 but this year, they are streamed into different classes of different abilities so he experiences more stiff competition from his classmates and that actually motivates him to be more serious in his studies. He also realises that he needs to revise his work consistently in order to do as well as his peers.

In fact, this time round, he voluntarily asked me to put up a daily revision checklist and he dutifully goes through each and every item. I think he feels more confident that he has done some proper revision for his exams. And I kept drilling in the idea that he does well in his studies not by chance or pure smartness but rather because he puts in enough effort and is more focused in his studies.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support