American Eng vs British English

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

American Eng vs British English

Postby Joy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:23 am

Hi there

Can I just check, RECOGNISED and APOLOGISED , are they American or British english.

What is the correct spelling for BRITISH ENGLISH?Thanks

cheers
Joy

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: American Eng vs British English

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:10 am

Joy wrote:Hi there

Can I just check, RECOGNISED and APOLOGISED , are they American or British english.

cheers
Joy

RECOGNISED and APOLOGISED is British spelling. The American versions are RECOGNIZED and APOLOGIZED.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: American Eng vs British English

Postby Joy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:19 am

Oh dear, I checked oxford dictionary, and its says ends with z...

DD is off to school for her english paper today and I told her to re confirm with her teacher...

thanks

rgds
Joy

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Joy wrote:Hi there

cheers
Joy

RECOGNISED and APOLOGISED is British spelling. The American versions are RECOGNIZED and APOLOGIZED.

Joy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby krazy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Schools recognise both American and British English. But the key is, consistency. If the child uses American spelling like color, then the teacher will look out for consistency so the child needs to spell "recognize" with a "z".

Do not mix.

krazy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby turquoise » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:30 pm

krazy wrote:Schools recognise both American and British English. But the key is, consistency. If the child uses American spelling like color, then the teacher will look out for consistency so the child needs to spell "recognize" with a "z".

Do not mix.

Do schools recognise American spelling such as 'color' now? What a difference from my time when British English was the only accepted form of English.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby schellen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:40 pm

It is advisable to use British English while still schooling in pri and sec schs and JCs. The 'O' Level and 'A' Level are British exams and the papers will be marked by British markers (or at least British-trained markers).

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rains » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:46 pm

turquoise wrote:Do schools recognise American spelling such as 'color' now? What a difference from my time when British English was the only accepted form of English.

In terms of spelling, schools only accept British spelling. 'Color' is out.

I think schools accept the difference of spelling by 's' or 'z' in words like 'recognise/recognize', 'apologise/apologize' because most people are not aware that 'z' is American, altho as krazy said, it must be consistent throughout the composition.

Other than that, schools still only advocate British English.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Muffins » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:07 am

Usually, schools accept British English, but in rare occasions, they also accept American English...

British English is the more correct way of spelling though, it may earn you less marks in compo if you use American English...

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support