Tutor MathsGuru: Ask me for your burning Maths questions!

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules
Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.
YLH88
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by YLH88 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Dharma, Thinkingmath

Thank you very much !! :D

Regards

i-mum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by i-mum » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi MathsGuru, I have a question:

Mani and Muthu have some amount of money. If Muthu gives Main $40, they will each have the same amount of money. If Mani give Muthu $120, Muthu will have 3 times as much as Mani. How much does Mani and Muthu have?

mathsguru
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mathsguru » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:07 pm

YLH88 wrote:Hi Mathsguru,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

But hor, don't quite understand the solution for question 2. I don't understand how you get the 3rd set of diagram with the yellow box. How come is 1/3 of Tom's present age ? and how to get the 5 units ?

Many thanks!

Regards
Jasmine
Hi Jasmine,

As mentioned, the yellow box represents the no. of years that have passed, which means Sally's present age minus away the yellow box = Sally's age then. Similarly, Tom's present age minus away the yellow box = Tom's age then.

Based on this, we can "divide" Sally's present age (from the 2nd set of diagram) into her age then + the no. of years that have passed. This will mean that the pink diagram should include the yellow box, that's why you find that I've"inserted" the yellow box into her present age diagram. The remaining pink box will represent her age then.

Since Tom's age then is equal to Sally's present age, it should be of the same size as the remaining pink box + yellow box. Next, using the information from the 1st set of diagram, we know that Tom's present age is 3 times that of Sally's age then. To obtain Tom's present age, simply add a yellow box behind as that is the no. of years that has passed.

Finally, for Tom's present age to be 3 times of Sally's age then (the remaining pink box), it is only logical to conclude that Sally's age then (the remaining pink box) is equal to the yellow box.

Therefore, Sally's present age is equal to 2 units while Tom's present age is equal to 3 units. Total = 5 units. Since we know their present ages add up to 30, 5 units = 30.

Hope my explanation above is clear enough for you to understand... :) Pls feel free to clarify if needed.

Cheers,
MathsGuru

mathsguru
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mathsguru » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 pm

i-mum wrote:Hi MathsGuru, I have a question:

Mani and Muthu have some amount of money. If Muthu gives Main $40, they will each have the same amount of money. If Mani give Muthu $120, Muthu will have 3 times as much as Mani. How much does Mani and Muthu have?
Hi i-mum,

Here's my solution. :)

Cheers,
MathsGuru

YLH88
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by YLH88 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Mathsguru,

Need your help again to solve the following questions. These 2 questions are under the Algebra unit.

1) A certain amount of water is poured from a jug into an empty mug so that the amount of water in the mug is 1/6 the amount of water left in the jug. If 50 ml of water is further poured from the jug to the mug, the amount of water in the mug will be 1/5 of that left in the jug.
Find the original amount of water in the jug.

2) Meatballs and fishballs were sold in packets. Each packet contained the same number of meatballs and fishballs. Meatballs were priced at 4 pieces at $1 and fishball at 6 pieces for $1. A man had just enough money to buy 2 packets of meatballs and 1 packet of fishballs. He needed one more dollar if he were to buy 3 packets of meatballs instead. Find the number of meatballs or fishballs in a packet.

Thank you!

bigmac
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Whole Numbers

Post by bigmac » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Mathsguru,

Need your help to solve the following questions. Thanks alot.

A special dice has six faces labelled 1,2,3,5,7 and 9. If two of these dice are rolled, and the numbers showing on the upper faces are added, what is the number of possible sums that can be obtained.

mathsguru
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mathsguru » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:35 pm

YLH88 wrote:Hi Mathsguru,

Need your help again to solve the following questions. These 2 questions are under the Algebra unit.

1) A certain amount of water is poured from a jug into an empty mug so that the amount of water in the mug is 1/6 the amount of water left in the jug. If 50 ml of water is further poured from the jug to the mug, the amount of water in the mug will be 1/5 of that left in the jug.
Find the original amount of water in the jug.

2) Meatballs and fishballs were sold in packets. Each packet contained the same number of meatballs and fishballs. Meatballs were priced at 4 pieces at $1 and fishball at 6 pieces for $1. A man had just enough money to buy 2 packets of meatballs and 1 packet of fishballs. He needed one more dollar if he were to buy 3 packets of meatballs instead. Find the number of meatballs or fishballs in a packet.

Thank you!
Hi Jasmine,

Here are my solutions. Hope they help!

:)
MathsGuru

mathsguru
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Whole Numbers

Post by mathsguru » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:37 pm

bigmac wrote:Hi Mathsguru,

Need your help to solve the following questions. Thanks alot.

A special dice has six faces labelled 1,2,3,5,7 and 9. If two of these dice are rolled, and the numbers showing on the upper faces are added, what is the number of possible sums that can be obtained.
Hi Bigmac,

Here's my solution. :)

Cheers,
MathsGuru

YLH88
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by YLH88 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:53 am

Hi Mathsguru,

Thank you so much! :D

Regards