Do you send kids for tuition on weekday or weekend??

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Do you send kids for tuition on weekday or weekend??

Postby lezzi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm currently looking for a tuition centre for my ds who will be in P2 AM session next yr, as i have check with a few centre, most of the weekends are taken up... I am wondering if its better to send them for tuition during weekdays afternoon?? Any pro and cons to share?? TIA

lezzi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby plum-cake » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:23 am

I think its a wonderful idea to choose week day afternoons.
1. it creats every day study time(weekdays are for studies weekends are for games.).
2. rather than running around with them for tution you can spend some quality time with them. a family time, outing. shoping with them. go to park....
3. you can take extra cc programs. like swimming, music, sports etc

I think at p2 they still need some time to relax and make their mind fresh. then it will help them to absorb more during the weekdays :D

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:35 am

As a parent, I would choose weekday afternoons. However, not all families are able to do that due to logistics issue (no one to send the kids over to the tuition centre). Even for me, I have to send my boy for classes on weekday evenings (after office hours) due to logistics issue too. Unless the class is near my parents' place & my maid can bring him over easily, I can't send him for the afternoon classes.

As such, some families have no choice but to send their kids for tuition on weekends.

Another scenario is that the tutor the parents want only has weekend slots available, therefore they have no other choice unless they find another tutor. This scenario is quite common if the tutor has many years of experience & is well recommended by others.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 am

plum-cake wrote:
I think at p2 they still need some time to relax and make their mind fresh. then it will help them to absorb more during the weekdays :D

Depends on individual kids. I have students who are tired from school & can't focus during tuition. For these children, tuition during weekends will be better (they chose Sunday/Saturday morning so that they can enjoy family time after tuition which ends at 9.30am).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jesschan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:56 am

I prefer weekday classes too because weekends can be reserved for family activities, sports etc... But if the kid is too tired after a long day at school, he may not be able to concentrate in the extra class.

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Do you send kids for tuition on weekday or weekend??

Postby James Ang » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:58 pm

milo wrote:I'm currently looking for a tuition centre for my ds who will be in P2 AM session next yr, as i have check with a few centre, most of the weekends are taken up... I am wondering if its better to send them for tuition during weekdays afternoon?? Any pro and cons to share?? TIA

normally students taking major exams such as PSLE and O levels prefer weekend classes due to supplementay and remedial classes after school. Weekdays seem to be preferred for non-major exam students.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby keroppi » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Weekday classes for me. My kids' Chinese tuition is on Fri. I make it a point to keep their weekends free.

keroppi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby lezzi » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi all, Thanks for sharing your views, for myself, i'm worry that if i sign him up for weekdays afternoon he might not be able to concentrate afetr a long day at work. but another point also becos next yr is his 1st morning session, i wonder if he will be tired out or not... Still considering whether to go for weekday or weekend...

lezzi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby moonee » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:38 am

milo wrote:I'm currently looking for a tuition centre for my ds who will be in P2 AM session next yr, as i have check with a few centre, most of the weekends are taken up... I am wondering if its better to send them for tuition during weekdays afternoon?? Any pro and cons to share?? TIA

Mine switch from p2 PM to p3 AM session this year. Just to share with u how my dds enrichment classes are like this half year... Monday -7 to 8.30pm Science / Wednesday- English - 5.30 to 7pm / Thursday - English(Creative Writing) 2.30 to 4pm / Friday - Chinese 7.30 to 9.30pm and Saturday goes like this....11.30 to 1pm- Maths, 1pm to 2.30pm -Art. 2.30 to 4pm -Chinese compo, 4.30 to 5.3opm Music. The Saturday classes are held in 3 different locations. So... what do u guys think ? :wink: :lol:

moonee
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:46 am

moonee wrote:
Just to share with u how my dds enrichment classes are like this half year... Monday -7 to 8.30pm Science / Wednesday- English - 5.30 to 7pm / Thursday - English(Creative Writing) 2.30 to 4pm / Friday - Chinese 7.30 to 9.30pm and Saturday goes like this....11.30 to 1pm- Maths, 1pm to 2.30pm -Art. 2.30 to 4pm -Chinese compo, 4.30 to 5.3opm Music. The Saturday classes are held in 3 different locations. So... what do u guys think ? :wink: :lol:

Gosh, I feel totally worn out just reading your dd's schedule. :!:

I prefer weekdays for tuition/enrichment. Weekends are rest days for me - no cooking, no housework, just nada. I feel that it should be the same for dd. Need time to rest and recuperate. However it is not always possible. Hence, she has music followed by Chinese Enrichment (close proximity) on Sat mornings and Chinese tuition on Mon late-noon.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support