[Hougang] Tuition Centre price survey

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

[Hougang] Tuition Centre price survey

Postby countmoney » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi all,

I am currently looking to enrol my nephew into a tuition centre, preferably in this region. My nephew is currently P3, need math tuition. Any ideas what the price range is like?

There was this centre I saw that publishes their price online, $100 for 4 sessions of 1.5 hrs. Is that considered expensive, cheap, or average?

If a centre is good, I really don't mind paying, but just want to know what the market rate is like so I can gauge for myself if it is worth it.

Thanks all!

countmoney
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: [Hougang] Tuition Centre price survey

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by SAHM_TAN on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:12 pm

That price is cheap, compared to what other centres, those that I know, are charging. But I have the following qns:

What's the class size?
The price including GST?
Do you have to pay for material fees?
What's the tutor's experience and qualification?
How's their track record?
Are there make-up lessons if the child is sick or if the session falls on public holiday?
How's the teaching materials?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby countmoney » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:39 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:That price is cheap, compared to what other centres, those that I know, are charging. But I have the following qns:

What's the class size?
The price including GST?
Do you have to pay for material fees?
What's the tutor's experience and qualification?
How's their track record?
Are there make-up lessons if the child is sick or if the session falls on public holiday?
How's the teaching materials?

Hi, thank you for the reply!

Class size I think could be up to 8 people per class. From what I understand, the price includes everything (no hidden cost), and make up lessons available should the child fall sick. Most of the tutors are ex-MOE, and according to the boss (i spoke with him over the phone) he has many contacts who are currently still teaching so he is very confident on the materials he prepare.

Track record wise, they are quite new, so can't really have any conclusive statements made..

Based on your knowledge, what's the usual market rate out there?

countmoney
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:57 pm

I'm not an expert on the market rate. All I can comment is that based on $25 per 1.5 hr session and with all that you have shared, it sounds like value for money if your nephew can benefit from the tutor.

Is there term break?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby countmoney » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:13 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:I'm not an expert on the market rate. All I can comment is that based on $25 per 1.5 hr session and with all that you have shared, it sounds like value for money if your nephew can benefit from the tutor.

Is there term break?

Not too sure about that. Was only asking general fees for a fair comparison with the other centres first.

I heard of a neighbouring one (in hougang area also) that charges $50+ per session, thats more than twice the price! Though they provide maximum class size of 4.

countmoney
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by SAHM_TAN on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Can make a visit to the 2 centres before deciding. Fees is only one of the criteria for comparison.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support