Difference in Primary school standards?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Difference in Primary school standards?

Postby MMM » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:42 pm

During P1 SA1, my friends' kids who happened to study in the same school in Bukit Panjang area appeared to have scored very well for their SA1 results. Eg. bd 1 results.

Meanwhile my child who studies in one of the SAP schools in Spore only manage band 2 results for english and maths but did well for chinese.

For my child's school, they had the normal paper which includes vocab, grammer, punctuation, comprehension, cloze passagae, etc... they are also given separate assessment on oral, composition and spelling test. To me, I felt that the composition which makes up probably 30%? was a big challenge esp for a P1 child to be grammatically perfect in that 5-6 sentences of work especially when they are just learning all the rules and conventions.

It just made me wonder if all the Pri school in Singapore adapts the same kind of SA test format and result weightage ? Or it's really case by case and depend on the school's expectations. If that happens, to a certain extent, the kids results are not comparable in the 1st place since one may be expose to more difficult type of paper as compared to another? I am just wondering becoz it made me wonder if my child is probably not up to mark? BTW, she came in 6 in class so she appeared to be fine as compared to her peers in class?

Anyone has experience with this before?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Difference in primary sch standards

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:11 pm

MMM
It is widely known that good schs' (top 10 schs or so) papers are more difficult (ie hence your child scored band 2) than others.

That's why:
1) people want to go for good sch (ie do PV to get into 2B). Thus be exposed to the difficult questions and be more prepared at PSLE.
2) there is market for good schs' papers (ie $50/set of 10 sch for 3 subj?)

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shaz » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:14 pm

The standard set is these schools will definitely be higher. Otherwise, we kiasu parents will not be investing so much money buying the past exam papers from the so-called 'Top 10 Schools' :P

shaz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Frankly, when the 1st friend told me that "wow my child is so clever, she got all bd 1 results,etc...". Then the 2nd friend who had child in the same school also said to me just yesterday "my son did very well, he is so good in his papers eg. all near to full marks". I was like wow maybe all the kids there are so clever or the paper is so easy.

While looking at my child, who only manage mid 80s for her english and maths and looking at the kind of requirements she has, it made me wonder if their kids had to go through the same thing. But apparently the mums are not even familiar with the exam structure their kids had to start with to share with me.

Anyone know if composition/ written expression is compulsory for P1 test?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Difference in pri sch standard

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:28 pm

MMM
Compo constitutes:
P1 & 2: 10 marks out of total 100 for eng paper
P3 & 4: 20 marks
P5 & 6: 40 marks out of total 200

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Difference in pri sch standards

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:30 pm

MMM
I think your friends are trying to boast. See what their children get when they are at P5/6/PSLE.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:56 pm

Thanks : ) I thot so too to wait for PSLE but it would seem like a long time to go :) But you might be right, as both of my friends happen to have kids in p3 or p4 now and they are telling me that their child is struggling such as did very badly for SA1 and had to do homework until midnite,etc...

Oh 10% for compo. I will go back and check my child's requirement. I recall it was more than that and I was like..... that is gg to pull down her marks. I was thinking of how to salvage the situation by asking her to limit herself to not more than 5 sentences as the more she writes, the more potential errors she will make.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support