Is Grade D to A* Possible without Tuition?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Is Grade D to A* Possible without Tuition?

Postby concern2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Some kids are high achievers and consistently score As and A*. For those who are not doing so well academically, they are often the source of our worries.

I am beginning to wonder if A* is even achievable for the less academically inclined, and I would love to hear 'miracle' stories from parents who have helped their kids achieve it.

For quick guide, here is the grading system:
Sun_2010 wrote:Obtained from a pri school website:

Band 1 - 85 and above -Is very good at the subject
Band 2 - 70 to 84 - Is good at the subject
Band 3 - 50 to 69 - Has adequate grasp at the subject
Band 4 - Below 50 - Has not met the minimum requirements for the subject

A* - 91 and above - Has very good understanding of the subject
A - 75 to 90 - Has good understanding of the subject
B - 60 to 74 - Has good understanding of the subject
C - 50 to 59 - Has adequate understanding of the subject
D - 35 to 49 - Has fair understanding of the subject
E - 20 to 34 - Has elementary understanding of the subject
U - Below 20 - Has not met the requirements for the minimum grade

P.S. Demoralizing stories are also welcomed. :lol:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Is Grade D to A* Possible without Tuition?

Postby jtoh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:18 pm

I think A* would be difficult without tuition. 'A' might be possible, especially if the school gives good remedial 1-to-1 classes. Or if the school's exams are exceptionally difficult and not reflective of PSLE exams.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:27 pm

concern2,

You should read this bk. A* and A: How I helped my child score in the PSLE. By See Jiak Yong. Her dd was in the lower half of her school's cohort and she helped her score 2A* and 2A, 251.

I think she took abt 10 months to set abt helping her dd. She happened to quit her job and she discovered her dd needed help.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:36 pm

concern2 wrote:Some kids are high achievers and consistently score As and A*. For those who are not doing so well academically, they are often the source of our worries.

I am beginning to wonder if A* is even achievable for the less academically inclined, and I would love to hear 'miracle' stories from parents who have helped their kids achieve it.

Since you have already said 'less academically inclined' ..... to still try aim for A* is just stressing everybody up. Unless you are talking about those kids who have the ability but just not performing due to reasons like not motivated, lack proper guidance etc.
Last edited by BeContented on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:concern2,

You should read this bk. A* and A: How I helped my child score in the PSLE. By See Jiak Yong. Her dd was in the lower half of her school's cohort and she helped her score 2A* and 2A, 251.

I think she took abt 10 months to set abt helping her dd. She happened to quit her job and she discovered her dd needed help.

Mummy or daddy is the secret weapon of the child to obtain A and A*

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Tuition includes parents' coaching?

also depends on whether the D is due to slacking or slow learner.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 pm

BeContented wrote:
concern2 wrote:Some kids are high achievers and consistently score As and A*. For those who are not doing so well academically, they are often the source of our worries.

Since you have already said 'less academically inclined' ..... to still try aim for A* is just stressing everybody up. Unless you are talking about those kids who have the ability but just not performing due to reasons like not motivated, lack proper guidance etc.

Ah….maybe I shouldn't have included "less academically inclined'. It is already like a stamp on the child, isn't it?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 pm

My question is whether the exams are designed so that every student, even the less academically inclined, can get an A*. If so, then coaching, motivation, hard slog etc can achieve it. If the exam is designed so that a certain spread of grades is expected, can it be possible for the less academically inclined to get A*? There will be the occasional 'miracle' case of a child for whom the penny drops suddenly, or wasn't working and suddenly 'woke up', or had some other reason to prevent him studying effectively earlier, but I would contend that such kids are academically inclined, just not performing for whatever reason. I have a less academically inclined child, and we focus on her attitude and effort rather than a specific grade target. I can't bring myself to set targets of As as I think it would be cruel to set her up for such constant 'failure'.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Tuition includes parents' coaching?

also depends on whether the D is due to slacking or slow learner.

Ok, the tuition I am referring to here is external (paid) help other than parents and school.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Trapwithin wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:concern2,

Mummy or daddy is the secret weapon of the child to obtain A and A*

For her case, an intelligent mother with high EQ to reach out to her dd. :)

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support