Streaming - at which level?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Streaming - at which level?

Postby lego » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 am

I'm new to this :oops: , may i ask when do your kids' schools practise streaming the children? At which level do they do it and is it done yearly?

lego
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:12 am

lego,
i realised that your area of residence is in Bukit Batok.
are you looking at any schools in that area?
how old are your kids?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Streaming - at which level?

Postby tutormum » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:02 pm

lego wrote:I'm new to this :oops: , may i ask when do your kids' schools practise streaming the children? At which level do they do it and is it done yearly?

Normally, for most schools it's from P3, if you mean grouping them into different abilities.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Streaming - at which level?

Postby James Ang » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:46 am

tutormum wrote:
lego wrote:I'm new to this :oops: , may i ask when do your kids' schools practise streaming the children? At which level do they do it and is it done yearly?

Normally, for most schools it's from P3, if you mean grouping them into different abilities.

Let's just say that every year there is streaming and students will be ranked and grouped by results into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th classes etc (or retained if U-grade or severely weak)

Then there are other type of streaming once every 1-2 years;

P3 - GEP selection
P4 - Mainstream (EM1/EM2) and foundation (previously EM3) streaming
P5 - Some weak students drop to foundation subjects instead of mainstream subjects.
P6 - PSLE streaming into IP/Special/Express/NA/NT/retain
Sec 2 - Streaming for subject selection Pure science +Add Math or combined science w/wo Add Math
Sec 4 - N/O levels streaming into JC/Poly/ITE/work
JC 2 - A levels streaming into Uni/Poly/work
Uni/Poly - Modular system - repeat failed modules.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support