New HCL syllabus: how different from the old one?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

New HCL syllabus: how different from the old one?

Postby Jennifer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:16 pm

My elder boy belongs to the old CL syllabus. The younger one would be tested under the new CL syllabus.

Elder boy came home on Fri, telling us his classmate whose younger brother is in P4 middle ability class told the elder brother that his entire class has failed the CL SA2 paper. The highest score is only 20+.

Please share the new HCL syllabus differences from the old syllabus.

TIA

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Uh-Oh » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:31 am

There will be a section testing pupils on Editing, i.e correcting wrong words and misuse of "ci yu" etc ( i think the English paper has this section too). And the compre part, there will be "zao ju", sentence construction.

Uh-Oh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Jennifer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:32 am

Uh-Oh wrote:There will be a section testing pupils on Editing, i.e correcting wrong words and misuse of "ci yu" etc ( i think the English paper has this section too). And the compre part, there will be "zao ju", sentence construction.

Thanks for sharing.

My #2 is in P2, so far the test/exam papers do not hv such sections. Wow, I think we might hv a hard time from P3 onwards.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Chinese And Higher Chinese

Postby Bentan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:14 am

My 3 children are now above 16. When they were in Primary school, my wife and I made them take HCL. 2 of them did well in Chinese and so they scored well in PSLE. One of them did not do well and so his score was below 220.

I came to the conclusion that if a child did well in Chinese subject, he would do well in PSLE, assuming that he puts in equal effort on all his subjects.

Over the years I found my observation accurate most of the time. In March this year, I helped a mother find a good Chinese tutor for his son who is doing very well in all subjects except Chinese. By PSLE her son was talking about score of 250 and above, which is not possible prior to Pr 6. His confidence in Chinese boosted his overall confidence.

I would strongly encourage all parents to help their children to do well in Chinese.

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Chinese And Higher Chinese

Postby Jennifer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:28 am

Bentan wrote:I would strongly encourage all parents to help their children to do well in Chinese.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support