Consolidation of changes to primary school syllabus

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Consolidation of changes to primary school syllabus

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 pm

I had a conversation with my friend about the difficulty of donating / keeping textbks because of the recent changes to primary level syllabus.

I decided to start this thread to help me keep track of the schedule and a place to park all the documents explaining the changes.

English

Implementation: to 2013 P4, affecting PSLE 2015 onwards

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2012/ ... evelop.php

Mother Tongue

Affecting PSLE 2017 onwards

http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2011/ ... of-mtl.php

Maths

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/syllabu ... y-2013.pdf

The proposed timeline for implementation of the changes

P1 - 2013
P2 - 2014
P3 - 2015
P4 - 2016
P5 - 2017
P6 - 2018

Guess dd1 will be under the old syllabus and ds under the new syllabus. Seems like will be affecting PSLE 2018 onwards.

Science

dd1 is using the new ed science textbk next yr but I cannot find any MOE official updates yet. Will update when there's more infor. My fren's child who is in P4 next yr is still using the older ed, so my guess is that it will affect PSLE 2017 onwards

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Consolidation of changes to primary school syllabus

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Science syllabus for 2014 P3

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/syllabu ... y-2014.pdf

Only affect current P3 and primary school kids who are taking science in subsequent years.

Next yr P3 parents, be careful when you wish to purchase 2nd hand science text or collect fr NTUC free textbk event.

Very exciting. DD1 - Science, English, oral exams, both languages, are revised. Maybe a blessing in disguise for me, since no past yr papers to review and Eng only 2015 and 2016 papers.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:33 pm

P2 maths syllabus updated in MOE site too, affecting those in P2 2014.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 pm

Suggestion

Parents with kids affected/not in different years, consider to be prudent when purchasing assessment bks.

Eg I purchased thinking maths for dd1, P2. The recent bkfest, I chked the P2 version, there are several pages added to each topic. If cannot finish, pass it to younger ones also a bit worry.

For science. I saw broad titles that can be used fr P3-p6 practise, also consider or ask if these will be revised before purchasing for parents who have kids in P3 this yr.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mother777 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Thank you SAHM_TAN!
The information will definitely be useful to all :)

For me I feel the changes in syllabus is not much drastic.
If parents already bought some assessment books from older rev of syllabus, then fret not as only few elements of syllabus are changing. About 80-90% of the older version book still ok to use.

But definitely agree that as parents we have to careful of topics being deleted from syllabus. Imagine you didn't know and forced the child to spend time on that topic..

Also new additions to syllabus needs to be carefully watched for. So far I didn't see new topics being added. It's just a change in the format things being tested.

Build up the basics, learn from school given practice papers and all should be fine.

Thanks again to SAHM_TAN

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:55 pm

you are welcome mother777.

I'm interested in this area so it's not a chore for me. :wink:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blue Pearl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:22 am

Tks SAHM_TAN

Blue Pearl
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Champion » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:45 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:For science. I saw broad titles that can be used fr P3-p6 practise, also consider or ask if these will be revised before purchasing for parents who have kids in P3 this yr.

Hi SAHM_TAN :smile:
I was at Popular bookstore yesterday and overheard a very patient, kind mummy holding a Science assessment book asking this to the store assistant," Is this the latest edition?"
"Yes, it is!" the store assistant pointing to the front cover of the book.
The mummy continued," Then if it it new edition, why the content in it is the same as the old edition?" The store assistant went :oops: and kept quiet.

I am still looking for answers to know what is the "new syllabus" in Y2014 compare to the one in 2008. Term one has ended and looking into my P3 DD2 Science textbook and school file, I can find nothing but review papers, topical test papers, past year CA1 exam papers :shrug:
No notes :? :?

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:19 am

I dont think its fair to ask the store assistant such questions. She is not the publisher so how would she know what is changed or not.

The trick for publishers to make $$$ out of us, parents, just to change - add/remove some pages/topics and wala - its the latest edition.

Many times, I have been tempted NOT TO buy the latest edition for my ds' textbooks. Unfortunately, in the past, his school teachers are really fussy abt having the latest n I dont want him to be 'harassed'.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iloveaaa » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:19 am

Dear all,
I am new here.
I am wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the new and old Maths (2007 vs 2013) and Science (2008 vs 2014) Syllabus. What exactly are the fundamental differences?
From a layman's perspective, I can't tell.
Appreciate any input. Thank you.

iloveaaa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support