All About Tuition

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

All About Tuition

Postby Odie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:11 am

Help! My boy is P3 this year. During his SA1, he failed his chinese, maths and science. I enrolled him for tuition but he failed again for these 3 subjects. I've talked to him on his academics, he seem don't bother at all! I was thinking of switching his tuition from group to individual tutor cos his teacher also finds that he can't concentrate in group. But i think individual will be more costly than than group tuition.

Can anyone advise what is the cost like for home tutor for each subject? I'm really at a loss and thinking of sending my son for counselling. Even rewards won't tempt him. He just simply refuse to use his brain to think.

Mummies & daddies, any tips for me on how to handle my son. I've another son who will be going to P1 next year and I don't want him to follow his brother's steps. :(

Odie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Tuition

Postby tony » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 am

Odie wrote:Help! My boy is P3 this year. During his SA1, he failed his chinese, maths and science. I enrolled him for tuition but he failed again for these 3 subjects. I've talked to him on his academics, he seem don't bother at all! I was thinking of switching his tuition from group to individual tutor cos his teacher also finds that he can't concentrate in group. But i think individual will be more costly than than group tuition.

Can anyone advise what is the cost like for home tutor for each subject? I'm really at a loss and thinking of sending my son for counselling. Even rewards won't tempt him. He just simply refuse to use his brain to think.

Mummies & daddies, any tips for me on how to handle my son. I've another son who will be going to P1 next year and I don't want him to follow his brother's steps. :(

Hi Odie, do you want to get your child diagnosed? He may have some condition such as ADHD or dyslexia, and that is holding him back. I've had friends who were completely shocked by the diagnosis, but with help and therapy, the children have improved dramatically. Schools tend to be understanding too.

Good luck!!

tony
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Odie » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks Tony! :D

Odie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Workshop On Teaching Dyslexic Students

Postby Bentan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 am

Students with dyslexia may have problems with reading, spelling, understanding spoken words or expressing themselves orally or in writing. Singapore Math Chinese Tutor conducts monthly workshop on Teaching Dyslexic Students.

This workshop covers:

Identify the common signs of a dyslexic child.
    Strategies to support learners with Dyslexia
    Methodology to help dyslexic child to remember spellings, vocabulary, multiplication tables, memory, instructions, etc.

Bentan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Tuition (Good & Poor Student)

Postby titank » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi All,

In the past, only students with poor grades then require tuition.Be it private home tuition or at those tuition centre that can be found in our heartland area.

Now is poor student & good students both also must go tuition. Comes to every weekend so many tuition centres having very good business. Walk around everwhere can see tuition centres banners, tuition centres flyers distributed on letterbox & at my car windscreen.

Hope to hear your views on it.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:37 pm

My take: I'm not sending my children for tuition unless they really need it, i.e., they are below average and/or we can't help them.

Now, I shall quote buds: titank, as thread starter, shouldn't you set a good example by stating your views first? :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi.
I have two children 7 and 9.

They used to have many tuitions like Morris Allen, Han Language and Kumon.
On top of that, my DS had supplementary classes and CCAs.
And when they seemed very busy, I decided to switch to home tuition by private tutors.

This went on for a year and I realised that the tuitions do not really make a significant difference. I decided to sit down and talk to my DD and DS. After discussing with my DS and DD, I realised that sometimes too much tuitions do not do them more good.

It had deprieved them of their rest time.
They are mostly occupied with homework and tuition everyday. Since their grades are very good, I decided to teach them myself since they could understand the syllabus and teachings.

As such, I stopped all tuitions for my two children except Kumon.

Even though they are without tuitions now, they are still coping very well with their results.

So to quote schellen's, unless their results are really deteriorating, I will then seriously consider putting them in tution centres again.

There are always two sides to a coin.

When the child's grades is no good, parents put them in tuition centre to improve his grades

When the child's grades are good, parents put them in tuition centre to maintain their grades.

At the end of the day, we really need to consider carefully if tuition is really needed.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:56 pm

How about differentiating between tuition & enrichment?

to me, tuition is getting the tutors to teach school syllabus in advance & clarify any doubt in school syllabus. Prep for exam, do lots of assessment books & top schools exam papers

that, I think is not necessary unless the child is weak in his study & need extra help

enrichment is kind of like immersion? not following school syllabus, may or may not transform to better grades but it does broaden the scope or horizon, learn beyond what is required from school syllabus

that, I don't mind, regardless of school grades

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Tuition (Good & Poor Student)

Postby jedamum » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:08 pm

titank wrote:

Hope to hear your views on it.

sometimes the parents have no idea how to teach their kids, so they prefer to pay for the kid to be on schedule (ie with tuition, there is a structure/timeline for the kid/parent to follow to keep with the pace of schoolwork).
so long parents happy, kids no complaints, there are results to show for it....there is no right or wrong.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby CJS » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:43 pm

I fully support the "no tuition" approach unless the child fare badly in his/her studies, ie poor grades or "fail" grades.

I sent my dd for tuition during her P6 year and found that they have no effect on her. She often did not complete the tuition assignments given. I found that it was a waste of money and stopped her tuition before her PSLE.

Children need to learn how to manage their studies and take responsibility for their results and not be dependent on tuition to achieve their target results. Well, there's no "tuition" on how to do your work in the working world, right?

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support