All classes are GOOD classes?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

All classes are GOOD classes?

Postby Love Clouds » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Do you know of any primary school that allocates their students (P3 to P6) based on random so that every class has a range of mixed abilities students?

My DD's school have been allocating their students from P3 -P6 based on their overall SA results for many years, however, I am shocked that the students are now reshuffled to different classes randomly starting from this year. The school's reason is they are following the MOE's guideline to avoid elitism and to make "all classes are good classes".

My DD2 (P5) has always been in the top class and the teachers have been giving them more challenging questions since the class can cope. Now, with this new arrangement, I wonder how the teachers can teach according to the students' ability and maximise their potential.

Anyone has any experience to share?

Love Clouds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: All classes are GOOD classes?

Postby sushi88 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:50 pm

I understand that from P4 there is banding of subjects.... and in P3 they just randomise them without streaming or banding.

So with banding in P4, schools are able to randomly put students into a mix pack of abilities but by subject lesson, they will move them into the banded classes which they belong to attend the lesson so that the teacher can reach out to a more homogenous group. So perhaps they now make top classes virtual instead of fixed class. So as a class when it comes to teamwork and inter-class competition of sorts, it sort of minimise the elitism feel I suppose. :shrug:

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mum_sugoku » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:12 pm

sushi88 wrote:I understand that from P4 there is banding of subjects.... and in P3 they just randomise them without streaming or banding.

So with banding in P4, schools are able to randomly put students into a mix pack of abilities but by subject lesson, they will move them into the banded classes which they belong to attend the lesson so that the teacher can reach out to a more homogenous group. So perhaps they now make top classes virtual instead of fixed class. So as a class when it comes to teamwork and inter-class competition of sorts, it sort of minimise the elitism feel I suppose. :shrug:

Ya such is also the arrangement in my kids' pri school. And their school has been practising something like that for quite a few years already.

mum_sugoku
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Love Clouds » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks for the info.

So it will be like moving to another class for HMT as not all students are taking HMT?
Wouldn't there be lots of movement between classes if they do subject-banding for all subjects? I'll ask my DD tonight.

Love Clouds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby graciousbear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:28 pm

they usually put students taking the same subjects together

graciousbear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 12mum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am

For my child, when In p3 and p4, kids in same class take English n science together but split up for maths and Chinese.

There are lots of movements because kids from this class will leave for another classroom while kids from another class will come over. Sometimes things go missing.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Love Clouds » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Sorry, forgot to update all of you.
I read kiasuparents' posts every week in between work, but did not post much.

My Dd2's pri sch indeed adopts the arrangement where all students have a form class for English and other non-core subjects. They need to change classes for HCL, Maths and Sci (allocated according to their results in that subject).
Seems more stressful as one needs to be good in all subjects now to be in the top class of all subjects.

My Dd2 disliked it initially as she could not be with her good friends during some lessons.
Maybe at this age, they want to have a best friend and start to feel jealous if their "good friends" befriend other kids. Till recently, she starts to feel happier as she told me she found a good friend that is in her form class and all the rest of the subject classes. Ha!

Love Clouds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hquek » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Actually this form of banding may be good. Like if a child is strong in languages but weak in Maths. That child may feel bad in a class of Maths whizzes just cos all of them put in same class.

My kids haven't had this experience of shifting class but I kinda guess they will be very happy to 'waste' time in all this moving about during curriculum time. :P

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bebebub » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:08 pm

This 'moving about' is very common in Aussie schools. Instead of seeing time wasted, it can also be an opportunity for the mind n body to take a quick break during the 'move about'.

Grouping the students according to their subject ability will allow the teacher to teach, and the students to learn, at a suitable pace. A student who is good in 1 subject, but not so strong in another no longer need to feel inadequate or de-moralized in not making it into the 'top class'.

I like the idea of 'no more top class' as long as the individuals are suitably 'stretched' according to their abilities.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Love Clouds » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38 pm

Widening their circle of friends too!

Love Clouds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support