Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in math?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in math?

Postby Laurel111 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 am

Hi Parents,

I have been pondering over this lately....

P5 DS has no tuition on Maths and is coached by me. DS has been doing well, scoring over 90s for his CAs & SAs.

I have a full time job and have no time researching the best method to tackle increasingly challenging maths questions. I am just wondering am I short-changing him by not sending him to enrichment to "stretch" his maths skills. (I find out lately he has been solving sums quicker and differently as they progressively gets difficult). I am not expecting that he participates and scores in competition, just wish he can get an A* for PSLE.

Just wondering what other parents will do......

Laurel111
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby timtamfan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:27 am

I think it is an issue of cost ($, effort and time of kids and parent) vs benefit (A*, cultivate or nurture interest, be smarter etc). From what you wrote, maybe there's no need especially if not asked for by DC. For mine, he's ambivalent but I have desire to expose him beyond school curriculum, so I took up the school-arranged maths Olympiad training.

timtamfan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby sleepy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 am

Depends on whether child has spare time since Maths tuition is probably not very essential for kids who are already good in Maths. Also depends on how independent is the child in learning.
However, if time permits, I would say go for enrichment just to stretch.

My dd2 is attending Maths enrichment. Questions are tougher than school standard & beyond syllabus but she actually enjoys it.If she's stuck, she will seek help from dd1 or her daddy. Me math dummy so no help at all. I treat that as stretching. So long she's not demoralised. My dh prefers sending dd2 to classes so that he only needs to help her on ad hoc basis rather than setting aside a fixed time to actively coach the syllabus.

My dd1 doesn't have Maths classes because her schedule doesn't permit. No time to squeeze in another 'enrichment'. My dh sent her to a couple of Maths workshops so far. Those that are either one full day or half day over 2 days. Not that much time commitment. Rest of the year, she self studies. Only ask her daddy if she's stuck. She also self studied Maths Olympiad as she missed the vendor training in school. Surprisingly she got a gold cert for one of the Maths Olympiad competitions

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby Laurel111 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks TTF and sleepy for sharing.

DH and I are no maths expert hence concern that we will slow him down:):). Agree that I should ask DS if he is keen to attend enrichment lessons and shall take it from there.

Laurel111
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby Bunbun » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Laurel111 wrote:Hi Parents,

I have been pondering over this lately....

P5 DS has no tuition on Maths and is coached by me. DS has been doing well, scoring over 90s for his CAs & SAs.

I have a full time job and have no time researching the best method to tackle increasingly challenging maths questions. I am just wondering am I short-changing him by not sending him to enrichment to "stretch" his maths skills. (I find out lately he has been solving sums quicker and differently as they progressively gets difficult). I am not expecting that he participates and scores in competition, just wish he can get an A* for PSLE.

Just wondering what other parents will do......


Hi, am in the same shoes as you. my dd's maths scores also hovered around high 80s to 90s last year (P4). She had tuition last year, but her tutor cannot teach her anymore this year. I thought, maybe just let her go without enrichment for like 1st quarter/half of the year and see how. But my thoughts are changing direction fast. This year, she's P5. I looked at the Paper 2 OE questions and my jaw just dropped. I lost confidence in her (even before she lost confidence in herself!). I asked myself if my dear dd is really up to it to solve all these challenging questions. Sure enough, when I did a quick trial on her, she struggled. Mainly on those questions that cost 4 or 5 marks each. Then I reflected a bit ... as in wow .. she did quite nicely in P4, but seem to struggle a lot more right now. As I am the more ''kiasu'' type, I decided not to wait till the last minute and 'fire-fight'. So I caved in and decided to go for enrichment for Maths for dd. Just sharing my own thoughts and experience here. :-)

Bunbun
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby FHP » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 pm

sleepy wrote:Depends on whether child has spare time since Maths tuition is probably not very essential for kids who are already good in Maths. Also depends on how independent is the child in learning.
However, if time permits, I would say go for enrichment just to stretch.

My dd2 is attending Maths enrichment. Questions are tougher than school standard & beyond syllabus but she actually enjoys it.If she's stuck, she will seek help from dd1 or her daddy. Me math dummy so no help at all. I treat that as stretching. So long she's not demoralised. My dh prefers sending dd2 to classes so that he only needs to help her on ad hoc basis rather than setting aside a fixed time to actively


Can I know which Maths enrichment does your dd2 attend?

FHP
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:05 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby sleepy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:50 pm

FHP wrote:Can I know which Maths enrichment does your dd2 attend?


http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... &start=680

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby Laurel111 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Bunbun wrote:
Laurel111 wrote:Hi Parents,

I have been pondering over this lately....

P5 DS has no tuition on Maths and is coached by me. DS has been doing well, scoring over 90s for his CAs & SAs.

I have a full time job and have no time researching the best method to tackle increasingly challenging maths questions. I am just wondering am I short-changing him by not sending him to enrichment to "stretch" his maths skills. (I find out lately he has been solving sums quicker and differently as they progressively gets difficult). I am not expecting that he participates and scores in competition, just wish he can get an A* for PSLE.

Just wondering what other parents will do......


Hi, am in the same shoes as you. my dd's maths scores also hovered around high 80s to 90s last year (P4). She had tuition last year, but her tutor cannot teach her anymore this year. I thought, maybe just let her go without enrichment for like 1st quarter/half of the year and see how. But my thoughts are changing direction fast. This year, she's P5. I looked at the Paper 2 OE questions and my jaw just dropped. I lost confidence in her (even before she lost confidence in herself!). I asked myself if my dear dd is really up to it to solve all these challenging questions. Sure enough, when I did a quick trial on her, she struggled. Mainly on those questions that cost 4 or 5 marks each. Then I reflected a bit ... as in wow .. she did quite nicely in P4, but seem to struggle a lot more right now. As I am the more ''kiasu'' type, I decided not to wait till the last minute and 'fire-fight'. So I caved in and decided to go for enrichment for Maths for dd. Just sharing my own thoughts and experience here. :-)



Spot on, I was in the same situation when I saw the P5 sums. So far he still able to manage most on his own, with a handful tricky questions which usually takes me some time, sitting in one corner "undisturbed" to figure out. I refrained from looking at answers and explain to DS as it serves as a red flag to me that if I get stuck and have to refer to answers, well, time to outsource :smile:

Laurel111
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Bunbun wrote:Hi, am in the same shoes as you. my dd's maths scores also hovered around high 80s to 90s last year (P4). She had tuition last year, but her tutor cannot teach her anymore this year. I thought, maybe just let her go without enrichment for like 1st quarter/half of the year and see how. But my thoughts are changing direction fast. This year, she's P5. I looked at the Paper 2 OE questions and my jaw just dropped. I lost confidence in her (even before she lost confidence in herself!). I asked myself if my dear dd is really up to it to solve all these challenging questions. Sure enough, when I did a quick trial on her, she struggled. Mainly on those questions that cost 4 or 5 marks each. Then I reflected a bit ... as in wow .. she did quite nicely in P4, but seem to struggle a lot more right now. As I am the more ''kiasu'' type, I decided not to wait till the last minute and 'fire-fight'. So I caved in and decided to go for enrichment for Maths for dd. Just sharing my own thoughts and experience here. :-)

But it's only January! Why not give her and her teachers a chance before deciding that she's not up to it? She hasn't had lessons or practice yet, so why should she be expected to handle the exam questions?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: Math enrichment necessary for child already do well in m

Postby sleepy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:39 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Bunbun wrote:I asked myself if my dear dd is really up to it to solve all these challenging questions. Sure enough, when I did a quick trial on her, she struggled. Mainly on those questions that cost 4 or 5 marks each.

But it's only January! Why not give her and her teachers a chance before deciding that she's not up to it? She hasn't had lessons or practice yet, so why should she be expected to handle the exam questions?


Did your dd has a chance to read up the respective p5 topics, look at sample solutions, then attempt some questions, check answers and workings, do correction for those she made mistakes, before you test her?

If jump right into testing her p5 syllabus before her self studies, then it's entirely expected that she will be stuck.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm
Total Likes: 34


Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support