Start at 9am

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Start at 9am

Postby caroline3sg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:26 am

Youngsters can get more rest if schools start at 9am

Tue, Jul 29, 2008
The Straits Times

I refer to last Sunday's article, 'Sleepy kids'.

Many primary schools are now single-session. Schools should start later - at 9am instead of 7.20am - so that pupils can have more time to sleep. They can get 10hours of shut-eye if they sleep at 10pm and wake up at 8am.

Teachers should also let pupils finish their work in school, and not let them take too much work home.

Also, having remedial lessons should not mean having more homework. Children should have enough sleep and more time to relax. Let them enjoy their childhood.

Joanne Chua (Mrs)

I am 200% for it. I asked MOE yrs back. They said sch bus need the income from factory workers. What a joke! I salute the principal of CHIJ (at Bukit Timah) to change to 8am.
Last edited by caroline3sg on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JJJmom » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:06 pm

If this comes true, working parents without maid have to start work at 9am too. Kids can't be left alone at home where parents have gone to work.

JJJmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby gelfish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Last edited by gelfish on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gelfish
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby deardear07 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:33 pm

it wud b better to start at 8-9am... n convert all primary schools to single session. at least after sch,they'd haf time to go for cca,or nap or play...

afternoon session really abit @%$#$...by the time u get hm nearly 8pm,eat dinner n relax abit...oredi 9pm.almost sleeping time bt haf to do hmwork...then finish late at 11pm, or worse cannot finish,wake up 8am to do work till 10-11am,then eat lunch n go get ready for school le...abit no life...no chance to do any other thing.

deardear07
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:36 pm

JJJmom
I feel that govt should take away maid levy. When maids have higher salary due to the transfer of maid levy to their salary, GENERALLY, should have less maid problems. More people can employ maids? Those without maids like me, employ nanny. I feel that student care should not emphasize on sch work guidance / tuition. They should allow sleeping time (ie if parents need to start work earlier than 9am)

I am waiting for govt to announce flexi working hrs, then LOGICALLY we should be able to cope with sch start at 8 or 9 am.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 pm

deardear07
That's why MOE is targeting single session for all sch by 2011? or 2013?

If have continuously 10 hrs of sleep, may not need afternoon nap.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wwcookie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:05 pm

I am 1000% for it! What nonsense about the bus drivers other income! Why is it that other countries do not have this problem? I heard in Australia, school starts at 9 or 10am and finishes at 3 or 4pm. The children get more sleep there. In fact, I read somewhere Singapore schools have the earliest starting time. By right with single session, schools should start later. Our poor kids!!

wwcookie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:28 pm

wwcookie wrote:What nonsense about the bus drivers other income! Why is it that other countries do not have this problem?

Are parents willing to pay more for the buses? Hey, these people are trying to run a business too.
How much are other countries' parents paying for the bus fares?

Are other countries' parents sending their kids to primary school 10km away from their home? It seems that while some parents have no qualms about letting their kids hop onto the school buses at the wee hours of the morning to travel to school 10km away , others have grouses over school starting early.

Want our kids to have more rest? Why don't we just start by enrolling them in the nearest school to save on the travelling distance and do away with all those enrichment classes that either eats into the morning or afternoon 'free' time?

Quite a fair bit of parents sent their school going kids to student care and then need to commute to work, so it does not make any major difference if the school start at 9am for this group of people? Considering that they start work at 8.30am and needed 1 hour to commute, they still need to send their kids to student care by 7am.

Our generation had survived the 7.30am school starting time, so why are our kids 'extra' tired? I guess it is the extra classes that eat into play time and homework time that is causing our kids to go to bed later.

Argh...I think this P1 registration stress is getting to me.
:?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby deardear07 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:35 pm

i wish i can put my kids nearby too...bt results frm these schs convinced me i cun put them there,if nt,results will suffer... :? nw either haf to move to find another alternative.

deardear07
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:44 pm

jedamum
I don't know how much other countries' charges of sch bus. If things being constant (ie oil prices), I believe parents don't mind paying a little bit more to get more time for sleeping. If govt never attract FT (ie last time population only 3 mil, now 6 mil), there won't be so much conjestion that sch bus need to beat the jam. By the way, citizen is the only valuable resource in S'pore. Shouldn't the govt put the children on top priority than bus drivers' income?

If sch teachers teach, then we don't need enrichment. It is widely known that private tuition centres are thriving. Our time where got enrichment?

I mentioned earlier that student care should allow sleeping time in the morning (for children in afternoon session) so even parents need to send kids at 7am, at least they can go to sleep again.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support