Is explanations necessary after 2nd attempt at question?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Is explanations necessary after 2nd attempt at question?

Postby Laurel111 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi,

For wrongs answers I come across when marking DS maths paper, I will ask DS to give a second try, in which most cases, DS get them right. I have been taking the easy way out by asking DS to move on to the next question, while I sit beside and relax. :oops: (taking a breather after full day work)

Is it necessary to go through those questions when child got it right the 2nd round? Recently, heard from my son that his Maths teacher commented his way of solving questions is "funny", although DS got it right.

Tried explaining once to him and he went "Ya mum I know already....blah blah" or "Ya mum, that was what I did." I ended up looking naggy and more tired.

Laurel111
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Is explanations necessary after 2nd attempt at question?

Postby Suz855 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:24 pm

You can find similar type of qns or just change the number in the qns, if ur child can solve then u know be sure that he has master :smile:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby FB555 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:16 pm

How old is your DS? The right working is important for solving maths problem. It is important that the kid know how to derive the answer from the working.
Probably the method use by your DS differ from what the teacher had taught him so the teacher said the working was 'funny'. Some schools conduct workshop for parents so that they teach the same method as what it is taught in school and not confuse the kid with a different method. Are you using assessment books to teach ur kid? You may check with the example given in the book. There should be examples and model answers on how to tackle the maths problem.
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:45 pm

FB555 wrote:How old is your DS? The right working is important for solving maths problem. It is important that the kid know how to derive the answer from the working.
Probably the method use by your DS differ from what the teacher had taught him so the teacher said the working was 'funny'. Some schools conduct workshop for parents so that they teach the same method as what it is taught in school and not confuse the kid with a different method. Are you using assessment books to teach ur kid? You may check with the example given in the book. There should be examples and model answers on how to tackle the maths problem.

If the method your son uses is sound, then I would let him be. You should also compare it with the standard method to see which is a better one in terms of speed, possibility for errors etc. There is no harm letting your son know that there is more than one way to solve any particular problem.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Laurel111 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks for all the sharing.

I think I should run through with DS the methodology before they get out of control.

I started to feel uneasy when I happened to flip through some papers and found out how abstract some P5 Maths questions have become and was wondering how DS "solved" them on second tries. Checked his workings, but they are barely few liners, looks more like Picasso drawings to me. When asked him for his missing computations steps, he said it is in his head and it is common sense (faint on hearing this). Better be KS a bit, exam no second tries.

Laurel111
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby yuenyuen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:09 pm

Laurel111 wrote:Thanks for all the sharing.

I think I should run through with DS the methodology before they get out of control.

I started to feel uneasy when I happened to flip through some papers and found out how abstract some P5 Maths questions have become and was wondering how DS "solved" them on second tries. Checked his workings, but they are barely few liners, looks more like Picasso drawings to me. When asked him for his missing computations steps, he said it is in his head and it is common sense (faint on hearing this). Better be KS a bit, exam no second tries.

Can't keep in brain...must show the working to get working points if in the end the final answer is not correct.

yuenyuen
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:31 am

yuenyuen wrote:
Laurel111 wrote:Thanks for all the sharing.

Can't keep in brain...must show the working to get working points if in the end the final answer is not correct.

I told my kids that they must spell everything out even if they know, and they assume the marker knows, that it's common sense. I explained to them that the marker has to verify that the student actually knows how to do it as they don't know the student personally. If not, those who peek at another's working can also get the marks. I think if you explain it that way, he will be more willing to show his working.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Laurel111 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Good point! Thanks.

Laurel111
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support