Possible for PSLE result to be wrong??

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Possible for PSLE result to be wrong??

Postby cindylauper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi, my daughter got 3 A* in English, Maths and Science plus 1 A in Chinese. Her score is 253 only. I am wondering if there is an error somewhere? Wondering if I should ask MOE to audit or is this normal?

Will someone please please comment?

:?:

cindylauper
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mathsparks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:55 pm

Let it rest, Cindylauper. Your girl has done very well. :congrats: Time to move on.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Possible for PSLE result to be wrong??

Postby westmom » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:17 pm

cindylauper wrote:Hi, my daughter got 3 A* in English, Maths and Science plus 1 A in Chinese. Her score is 253 only. I am wondering if there is an error somewhere? Wondering if I should ask MOE to audit or is this normal?

If it makes you feel better, my relative has the same grading on the same subjects as your dd and the score is around 253. Another friend's son has 2A* (Eng & Science) and 2A with higher score at 259.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ycpang » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:20 pm

cindylauper wrote:Hi, my daughter got 3 A* in English, Maths and Science plus 1 A in Chinese. Her score is 253 only. I am wondering if there is an error somewhere? Wondering if I should ask MOE to audit or is this normal?

This is not uncommon. From what I know, there are worse cases such as 3A* & 1A but with T-240+ only.

ycpang
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby turquoise » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:05 pm

I've heard of 3A* & 1A ranging from 245-270 this year. The 245 case could have had weak A* and A scores, while the 270 case could have had strong A* and A scores. Happens all the time.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tutormum » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:12 pm

I doubt so. My son got the same grades as your daughter but only 251. Based on his prelim results, this is the min score he should get (335/400 x 0.75 = 251). However, he only get A* for Maths and A for the rest. It does seems that he has done better based on the A*/A for PSLE but I'm sure they are low A* except for Maths. I'm happy that he managed to pull in A* for English and Science for PSLE. :celebrate: Compared to his whole class, the result is fairly consistent. If you read through other threads or posts in this forum, you may have a better understanding of how the T score is calculated. I understand how you feel cos I was also feeling a bit disappointed at first that he scored the min expected score. I was hoping that he pulled in 260 or so. Anyway, we should be happy that our children have done well and ranked among the top 10%. :celebrate: Let's move on and help them prepare for the next milestone. :kiss:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MdmKS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:45 pm

turquoise wrote:I've heard of 3A* & 1A ranging from 245-270 this year. The 245 case could have had weak A* and A scores, while the 270 case could have had strong A* and A scores. Happens all the time.

In this case, what could be the lowest Tscore for A* and its corresponding raw score?

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby James Ang » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:56 pm

my students gets 3 A* for EMS, 1B for Chinese, he gets 240.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:56 pm

MdmKS wrote:
turquoise wrote:I've heard of 3A* & 1A ranging from 245-270 this year. The 245 case could have had weak A* and A scores, while the 270 case could have had strong A* and A scores. Happens all the time.

In this case, what could be the lowest Tscore for A* and its corresponding raw score?

Don't think anyone but MOE knows. Also TScore is different for different subjects.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby omron » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 pm

It really depends on the high or low A*s or As you have. Imagine a person having 4A* can have a lower Tscore than someone with 3A*s 1A. Its not a mistake by SEAB but its the quality of the grades that counts.

Unless you are talking about marking error, you can chose to pay $50 to have the paper checked, sometimes that can do wonders to ur child's grades......

omron
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support