Teaching English at home (no enrichment no tuition)

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Teaching English at home (no enrichment no tuition)

Postby sleepy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi parents

Let this be the thread to exchange pointers on how to teach our primary school level children :D

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

How to teach English?

Postby bitchymum » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:09 am

Besides getting my dd to read more, what else can I do to help her improve on her english? And also how to teach compo writing?

bitchymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cafelatte » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:04 pm

How old is the child and what are your concerns ?

monitors: probably can merge with "Teaching English at home (no enrichment no tuition)"
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=7289

cafelatte
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to teach English?

Postby Lynn1967 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:06 am

bitchymum wrote:Besides getting my dd to read more, what else can I do to help her improve on her english? And also how to teach compo writing?

For english, I think need someone to explain the ussage to her. Either home or tuition centre is gd for languages.

For compo, u can take up creative classes in tuition centre. I favour this over home tutor as compo may take up a lot of time so cost wise may not be effective.

Lynn1967
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tired mom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:56 pm

Just to share how i am teaching my dd compo writing...

She is an avid reader, but somehow it does not translate to good compositions for her. This leads me to think that writing technique has to be actively taught. She also attends creative writing class at a tuition centre, but the class does not progress very much beyond teaching good phrases.

I start off by reading many many good short stories, and try to identify the good writing techniques and teach her the tips. Some of them are :

1. Different ways of starting a compo - describing weather, using conversation, flashback memory...
2. How to use conversation effectively
3. Generating curiosity in description
4. Incorporating wit and humour
5. Remembering to describe feelings.

I will give her a piece of compo writing homework. When she has completed it, I analyse it with her, identifying all the "good bits" and discuss how we can improve the "boring" bits. Then, I get her to re-write it. Sometimes, I may write one myself using the same topic and show it to her.

Of the times we have done these, she had found them useful. Unfortunately, due to lack of tiime, we have not been doing it as much as i would like.

Hope it's helpful to you as a reference.

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Muffins » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Maybe you can do what my mum did, make English a fun learning experience.

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bitchymum » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Muffins wrote:Maybe you can do what my mum did, make English a fun learning experience.

Care to share how to make the lesson fun?

bitchymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support