Diff leaving sch exams for p6 GEPers

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Diff leaving sch exams for p6 GEPers

Postby vlim » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:17 am

I was wondering would p6 GEPers have a different set of exams to the psle as GEPers do not had the time to really start revising for psle till mid yr of p6 so is kind of unfair to them when their psle results are being compare to mainstream top scorers ..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:24 am

Dear vlim,

From what I obtain from MOE website, they sit for the same set of exam papers for PSLE.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:24 am

vlim, both groups sit for the same psle paper.

As for why some GEPers do not do as well as the mainstreamers - the reason is not so much due to the preparation process but the individual capability of the student.

A GEP student may not be gifted in all subjects , he or she may be gifted in Math n Science and weak in languages whereas a mainstream student may be strong in all subjects - that accounts for the difference in the scores.JMHO

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:26 am

kiasimom wrote:Dear vlim,

From what I obtain from MOE website, they sit for the same set of exam papers for PSLE.

HI Kiasimom,
Ya I know...thats why a few of the gepers parents (100% singaporean - u know what I mean :wink: ) including me were grumbling abt the unfairness...haaaaaaa :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:27 am

Not possible to be different papers because they need to do apples-to-apples comparison across all P6s. Different papers then nothing to compare already and many parents will cry foul play here and there...and elitism for GEPPERS even more rronounced. So no way...

Postby kiasimom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 am

I agree with csc.
Not forgetting GEPers are tested on GA, English and Maths only.
Whereas PSLE, they have to sit for MT and SC too.

So a GEPer might not be gifted in MT and SC and they might not do well in these two subjects since they are not tested in P3 GEP test.

Just my two cents thought.

In general, GEPers should do well but recent years the top scholars are not GEPers.
Maybe the mainstream pupils indeed do have more time for revision compared to the GEPer.

However, GEPer do have the advantage of having a lower cut-off point to selected sec schools ;-)

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:31 am

vlim wrote:HI Kiasimom,
Ya I know...thats why a few of the gepers parents (100% singaporean - u know what I mean :wink: ) including me were grumbling abt the unfairness...haaaaaaa :wink:

I suppose cannot cry unfair because the kids are exposed to things that most children are not exposed to and the mainstream kids will cry unfair as well cos they don't learn those things. It is designed such that GEPPers are supposed to be able to cope with both mainstream exam and the GEP exam. If not, then should raise to GEP committee to let P6s GEPPERS start revision earlier if their curriculum is unrealistic to cope with demands of PSLE instead of looking for a different exam in PSLE.

Postby kiasimom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 am

Hi vlim,

Unfair? But why are the GEPer parent feeling that it is unfair?
The reason why the students are in GEP is because they are the top 1% students for english and maths.
And GEPers are supposedly to be smarter and are able to learn and understand at a faster pace.

That's why the discussion came that even GEPers have to go for tuition for other subjects despite that they are already so busy with GEP work :-(

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:35 am

kiasimom wrote:In general, GEPers should do well but recent years the top scholars are not GEPers.

No leh... 2007 and 2008 top PSLE kids are GEPPERS, only this year. So don't lose heart.. GEPPERS ability to cope might be better than we know.

Postby kiasimom » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:38 am

Hi ks2me,

Sorry huh. I am mistaken.

So vlim, you have nothing to worry since last few years top scholars are GEPers :-)

It shows that GEPers have no problems with the same set of PSLE papers :-)

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support