2009 GEP Screening And Selection

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

2009 GEP Screening And Selection

Postby Puffer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:03 pm

Is this year's screening test result out yet? DS' form teacher told the class will be out these few days but she's not in school as she has to go another school to invigilate PSLE.

Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:04 pm

It's out today.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Bing_He » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:06 pm

MdmKS wrote:
Bing_He wrote:My 2nd boy passed the 1st round but stop at 2nd.
He has enrol into Twinning program offer by the school and learning social study, together with the GEP's.
He is enjoying it and his grade did not suffer much.
I believe, given opportunity and right coaching, most students can perform.
And it all depend on us parent, to lend them the support, when needs arises.

How was his experience working with the GEP students ?

He find out the involvement interesting.
At times he find some of them arrogant.
But he can take the HIT.
:!:

Bing_He
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MdmKS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:06 pm

karmeleon wrote:
turquoise wrote:Actually, for my dd's year and the year before, percentage making it through to round 2 was only about 6% of cohort. I suspect they've increased the number to 4K this year because they want to be more inclusive..

The percentage is written in the official MOE "unsuccessful" letters given out to the children who've taken the 2nd round of the GEP test. You can keep that letter for posterity. *haha* Put in the child's portfolio to show he/she in the top 10% of cohort or something like that.

Both my children got into 2nd round but only the first one's letter did mention top 10%. We did not include this letter for his DSA cos they are differentiated from those who opt out. The not selected letter may perceive a negative impact in his DSA.

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Screening test result

Postby High-Schooler » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:10 pm

karmeleon wrote:
acforfamily wrote:It seems like MOE only informs kids who have passed the 1st round (i.e. screening test) but do not inform those who don't.
Wonder why?

It's been like that all along.

Cause they don't want the ones who weren't chosen to be depressed?

High-Schooler
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Screening test result

Postby MdmKS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:34 pm

High-Schooler wrote:
karmeleon wrote:
acforfamily wrote:It seems like MOE only informs kids who have passed the 1st round (i.e. screening test) but do not inform those who don't.
Wonder why?

It's been like that all along.

Cause they don't want the ones who weren't chosen to be depressed?

Glad that my child did not get depressed after 2nd round. He said many people also didnt get in. He now landed in one of top IP sch too and happily going to school everyday. With him, my second child feel Ok for not clearing the 2nd round. It might have negative impact to him though if his brother got in and he didnt. The principal gave out the offer to those who got in in front of the entire P3 at that time and get them to clap for them and congradulate them. :x

MdmKS
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mathsparks » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:51 pm

watmekiasu wrote:It's out today.

:congrats: to all who made it to 2nd round. There's nothing to prepare for..just do your best..and maybe have some chix ess b4 that.

To those who don't make it..nothing to be depress about. You can still work hard and do well the next 3 years to get in to a school of your choice.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby karmeleon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:23 am

MdmKS wrote:Both my children got into 2nd round but only the first one's letter did mention top 10%. We did not include this letter for his DSA cos they are differentiated from those who opt out. The not selected letter may perceive a negative impact in his DSA.

Oh, so MOE might have changed their format since. I don't understand why the "not selected" letter "may perceive a negative impact in DSA" as you wrote above? We had it in my son's portfolio of documents and he was offered DSA in both schools.

karmeleon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:36 am

Hi, my son next year will be in p5 gep. Heard that it is more busy in p5 ... can any one tell me more about it...I would also like to know whether they will have chance to go for oversea competition or exchange programme. Thanks. :lol:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Merlion » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:44 am

There will be a GEP parents briefing at the beginning of year for each GEP school. The teacher will brief parents on what to expect. As GEP student's exam will end next week, just relax and go and have as much fun as possible for the upcoming holidays becasue P5 is the toughest year for GEP kids. As for oversea exchange program, some GEP schools will arrange P5 students to go to Beijing China in June for 2 weeks.

Merlion
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support