Any change of class at P4/5/6 ?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Any change of class at P4/5/6 ?

Postby new-at-katong » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:51 am

Hi everyone. I am returning to Singapore with my daughter in 2010. She has been assigned to 4C. My question is will she be subjected to a change of class in P5 and P6 depending on her exam results ?
By the way, her school is Tanjong Katong Pri.
tks :? javascript:emoticon(':?')

new-at-katong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Any change of class at P4/5/6 ?

Postby breezy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:49 pm

new-at-katong wrote:Hi everyone. I am returning to Singapore with my daughter in 2010. She has been assigned to 4C. My question is will she be subjected to a change of class in P5 and P6 depending on her exam results ?

hi hi, welcome back to spore! i think it depends on individual school. most schools i c sort the kids in P5 again n the class will remain intact for P6.

merry xmas! :D

breezy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:12 pm

Yes, steaming (not the EM1, EM2 kind of streaming, but what they call subject banding now) still takes place at the end of P4, but from P5 to P6, they normally try not to move the kids anymore to prepare them for PSLE.

Read about subject banding here :

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/primary ... ed-banding

Re: Any change of class at P4/5/6 ?

Postby James Ang » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:46 am

breezy wrote:
new-at-katong wrote:Hi everyone. I am returning to Singapore with my daughter in 2010. She has been assigned to 4C. My question is will she be subjected to a change of class in P5 and P6 depending on her exam results ?

hi hi, welcome back to spore! i think it depends on individual school. most schools i c sort the kids in P5 again n the class will remain intact for P6.

merry xmas! :D

some schools will still make the students change class if they did exceptionally well (move to better class) or did badly (drop to another class) at P5 exams which are very tough (due to the jump in difficulty level from P4 to P5) so the student needs to maintain and improve his/her work in P5.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasimom » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:53 am

For my children's school, they placed you according to grades.

For P1 to P2, first 30 in standard are placed in "A" class and so on so forth.
For P3 to P6, first 40 in standard are placed in "A" class and so on so forth.

From what I observed, by P4, kids are usually quite stable in their performance and will usually stay in their respective classes unless there is a drastic change in grades.

Why not P3? The GEP students will be transferred out so P4 is usually very stable.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support