Teacher's Day - What do you do to show your appreciation?

Getting your child into that dream Primary school is just the start of a 6 year journey. Discuss issues you face with supporting your child's studies in Primary schools.
Forum rules Gentle reminder before posting questions in the Academic Support Forums: Please ensure you post your question in the correct thread. Try not to start new threads.

Teacher's Day - What do you do to show your appreciation?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:13 pm

I'm just curious... what do parents do to demonstrate their support for their children's educators? And what is your budget?

I normally get my son to make some cards and I'll top up with getting some gifts like cups and other memorabilia for under $10. Only for the teachers he has direct contact with.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:22 pm

opps so far have not ask my boy to that...he was kind of too young to be able to go open his bag to find the item to give to his teacher last year.

Wonder if I should do an experiement this year and see if he could give some thing to his frabourite teacher without mummy doing it for him? Or is turning three too young for that?

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:34 pm

We would usually DIY and sometimes would do go-green projects. Last year, she wrote a poem and drew pictures to "decorate" the poem. Then we used some items that cud be recycled to package the poem in a pretty way and made it into a bookmark or a hanging item for the teachers. It was meaningful because it expressed how she felt about her teachers and a value money could not buy. Time consuming but she was happy and so were the teachers.

This year, ideas still formulating... :lol:

Postby jedamum » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:54 am

My boy is K2 this year.
Since he started Nursery 2 years back, we usually do not have the 'habit' to give gifts. There is only one occasion when he said he wanted to draw a card for his teacher. The problem is that he wanted the card to be filled with pictures of hearts. :shock:
Teachers' Days nowadays are competitive. I just hope that my boy will not feel pressured to get any gifts for the teacher (for the sake that others are doing the same) as I have told him that being a good boy everyday is a good gift in itself. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 am

jedamum wrote:Teachers' Days nowadays are competitive. I just hope that my boy will not feel pressured to get any gifts for the teacher (for the sake that others are doing the same) as I have told him that being a good boy everyday is a good gift in itself. :)

competitive?? :shock: how so? giving shud always come from the heart... amazing if we also ks in this area.. kekeke...

ya i always tell my kid, giving is not always abt presents, it is abt how u feel and respond... being good, sincere etc..is definitely a good show of appreciation to teachers.

as for teachers, don't think they are so materialistic...if they are they won't be in teaching...cos teaching does not pay as well....relative to other professions..

Postby mintcc » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:09 pm

I think the objective of giving gifts to teachers help children cultivate a sense of respect and appreciation for people who pass knowledge to them.

the gifts are "feel good" items for the teachers but most probably be really useful for the teachers.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby BlueBells » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:08 pm

I buy a cake for the teachers at the childcare centre and after school care that my kids attend. We also hand make something small, like clay magnets or clothes-peg magnets for the teachers, made by the kids, assisted by mum and dad. It's kind of like a small family project. And of course, I tell them to top it up with a big hug for the lady teachers.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby simplyjo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:44 am

I encourage my daughters to make the cards on their own instead of buying the cards. This project usually get my daughters very excited and they always look forward to it. Over the years, I've accumulated quite some art & craft materials which we can use for other occasion as well.

Besides the cards, I will also make some handmade jewellery like earrings, handphone accessories, bracelets, keychain etc for the teachers. This is my way to say "Thank you" to them...

simplyjo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ksmama » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:45 pm

For the last 3 years I have made muffins together with my kids the day before. Buy those ready mixed muffin mixes and add in my own extras like fresh bananas or walnut. Wrap in transparent gift wrap and a tag with my kid's named bakery. My kids get excited and we all have fun. Of course thanks to my domestic helper for all the washing after that. I packed 2 for each teacher so that it's not too heavy for my kids to lug to school.

ksmama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Primary Schools - Academic Support